Upgrading ram in iMac G5 instructions?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by ebook, Aug 31, 2004.

1. ebook macrumors 6502

I hate to do this, but I thought I saw someone post in the longggggg iMac post about a picture or instructions on how to change the ram in the new iMac. Can someone point me to it, I wasn't able to find it right away.

I'm basically wondering if its possible to change both ram sticks out at home. If so I'll just get the stock 256.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Check out the picture - looks like you remove a few screws on the back cover and then slide the RAM right into the slots.

Attached Files:

3. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Don't know about the post, but you will be able to change both ram sticks. I could see them both in the picture that shows the guts.

Lee Tom

4. ebook thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks a lot guys, I'm only hours away from making my final decision and pushing the order button!

5. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Just do it. It's so easy. Soooo easy. Select the 20", pick a few upgrades (like BT), click a few "Continue" buttons, enter credit card info, and you're done!

7. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

SHHHHHH jeeez Dont say that! ... ahhhhhh the temptation! :( :p

8. AndiePandie macrumors regular

I bought the stock ram and will upgrade once I know my computer ships. It doesn't look like it would be complicated (I hope those don't become famous last words ;) ). I'm looking at crucial for the extra ram.

Edited to fix typo.

9. scgf macrumors member

As with the Powermac G5, surely the memory needs to be installed as an identical pair - ie. 2 x 512MB sticks NOT 1x256MB and 1x512MB

Have I got this wrong?

10. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

No, it's ok to install a 256 chip in one slot and a 512 in the other. But I'm still kinda angy that Apple only allowed 2 RAM slots.....