upgrading RAM in Powerbook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by iAtom, Aug 29, 2004.

1. macrumors member

Is it possible to upgrade both RAM sticks in a Powerbook (the one listed in my sig) or only one of them? I didn't get the single 512 stick but I would like to upgrade to 1 GB of RAM. Am I screwed? :confused:

2. macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Pretty much.

3. macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

I'm kidding. It's actually possible for you to upgrade to 1.25 GB of RAM, at least. I may be wrong about this model but I think some of the RAM is soldered to the motherboard, and there is only 1 RAM socket. So, you could put a 1GB DIMM in there.

4. macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

In fact you are wrong, the 15" has two removable RAM slots so can accept up to two 1GB DIMMs.

5. macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem....two 256MB sticks. If you want 1GB total, you'll have to replace both sticks - best advice would be to sell them on ebay...I know it sucks...is price the only reason why 512MB is shipped with 2 256MB sticks instead of one 512MB stick?? Or is it stability?

6. macrumors 6502a

...or just replace one slot with a 1 Gb stick (it is more expensive, but a reasonable option if you want to increase the RAM beyond 1.25 in the future)

7. macrumors newbie

I got the OWC brand 1gig Ram at ~$267 or so. I can highly reccomend this as good quality and one of the best prices for trusted 1 gig ram.