Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fruti

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2006
Hi,

I've just returned a MBP (faulty) and exchanged it for a MB C2D figuring I would rather (when the time is right) get a mac pro and have a good desktop and a decent enough portable (I only really need the portable for email, internet, word processing and a bit of photo editing).

For the moment though, I have an old G5 single 1.6GHz which has always run perfectly, although as I've started to work with massive RAW files I've started to realise I'm in desperate need of more RAM! (I only have 768MB!)

I'm looking at upgrading the memory to around 2GB, which I know shouldn't be too expensive, as a short term solution until I get my mac pro, maybe next year (CS3) lol. I suppose the ideal thing would be to leave the two 256's in and put a couple of 1GBs in? But I'm no expert...

So can anyone guide me through this? I'm really not familiar with this stuff and have no idea how to go about this, where to buy it from, etc. Can anyone recommend brands etc?

Also if anyone has any advice on internal hard drives it would be much appreciated :)

(I'll also need an idiot's guide to opening the comp and installing the stuff!)

Thanks in advance...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.