Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
V

VogonPoet

Original poster
Can both of the SODIMM slots in the 15" and 17" PowerBooks be used for memory upgrades? I.e. If I buy a stock configuration with 512MB of RAM in one slot, can I pull it out and put 2 1GB sticks in there for a total of 2GB?

The reason I ask, is because aparently the base memory in the 12" PB is soldered directly onto the motherboard. I assume this is NOT the case for the 15" and 17" models, i.e. the base RAM can be removed.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
VogonPoet said:
Can both of the SODIMM slots in the 15" and 17" PowerBooks be used for memory upgrades? I.e. If I buy a stock configuration with 512MB of RAM in one slot, can I pull it out and put 2 1GB sticks in there for a total of 2GB?

The reason I ask, is because aparently the base memory in the 12" PB is soldered directly onto the motherboard. I assume this is NOT the case for the 15" and 17" models, i.e. the base RAM can be removed.

Yes, you are correct. You can put 2 1 GB sticks in the 15 & 17s. Takes about 2 minutes to do (give or take), and it is very easy. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.