upgrading the HardDisk inside a LaCie housing

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Jo-Kun, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

Hi there!

I have (see my sig.) a D2 LaCie 80GB FW drive...
    now I was wandering (ok I lose warranty and things like that...) if I can replace that drive with a 250GB version... or at least a 160GB so I can really fully back-up the internal drive of my G5 on it...

I'm just thinking about it, and maybe I will do it... or just get a new 250GB version and sell this on eBay ;-) because I know people will say: get the new one it has FW800, so its faster... but speed is not the concern on a bacup drive...

J

2. jestershinra macrumors regular

Yes. If you are OK with voiding your warranty, its doable.

Just find the screws, unscrew em', pull the drive (very carefully!) and replace it. Easy.

3. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

I'd say sell the external and get a new one. Also, if you need a buyer, I might be interested, too.

I believe this is the one my friend just bought and he is not having any problems. Pretty good price, too!

http://store.yahoo.com/pccityusa/160gb7200rpm2.html

Also, I saw that SmallDog had some good deals on some externals..

But still, I always recommend eBay. :)

4. Jo-Kun thread starter macrumors 6502a

well I don't know what I will do yet.... but since I like LaCie drives... I will stick to them... they're stable, look nice next to the G5 :p

I'll see it depends on the funds I'm willing to spend... so its not for this week... there is allso a possibility that i just will add an extra SATA drive in the G5...

5. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

Ever see the external drives that look like a G5 case crushed down and real small? They are pretty nice and work well with it...Damn, what is the name of those...

6. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

that would be your best option, if you don't NEED a lot of portable storage space. internal sata is always faster than external firewire; however, if you need that big portable drive, you can easily swap the drive inside the lacie case. the warranty is 2 years and i guess with your drive it's almost that old anyway, so you won't actually lose much. you can get 250GB drive for a good price and the old 80GB you can just sell after you have switched the drives - granted, you will not get much from it, but something at least.

but the easy way out is to install another sata drive inside your G5 and keep the 80GB as it is, until the drive itself breaks :)