Upgrading the ibook 300

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Horse, Aug 29, 2003.

1. Horse macrumors newbie

The dreaded question - just who has tinkered with their iBook 300 and how far did you go?

According to Mactracker at www.mactracker.ca you can upgrade the iBook 300 (mine is Blueberry) to 544 megabytes (a 512 chip and on board 32).

Has anyone attempted an upgrade like this even when Apple says the Ibook with the new firmware will max out at 256+32?

While we're headed down that path, who has upgraded their hard drive in their Blueberry? The 3gigs that is on there just isn't enough to handle the OSX install plus the few other applications that we need to use (and corresponding data files).

At the end of the day, I have this iBook that I'd like to sink, max $200-$400 so it can join the wonderful world of OSX, print wireless through the Airport, and work well with my existing OSX network.

It's mostly used for Word Processing and web surfing so even if X is a bit of a strain for it - it'll survive.

Thanks for any input,

Horse

2. vniow macrumors G4

Re: Upgrading the ibook 300

I put a 40GB IBM Travelstar in mine, best damn thing I could've done to increase the speed.

Pain in the ass to upgrade it though, lots of little screws to keep track of, only do it if you really love your clamshell or can't afford something faster.

Good luck.

-V

3. Horse thread starter macrumors newbie

Would this be the new 40gb travelstar with the EIDE 5400rpm?

Thanks,

Horse

4. vniow macrumors G4

Yep, makes a kick ass external Firewire one too if you want to put it in an enclosure.

5. Horse thread starter macrumors newbie

When you installed it, did you boot up from the OS disc and format from there?

What's the best way to go about putting this new drive into the Ibook and getting it going?

Thanks for all the help!

Horse

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

the reason apple said thats how much ram it would take is because that is the highest chip out at the time. not there are 512 chips. anyways, the best way to do the hard drive is install it, then boot from a system cd and format and install os x. the problem is is installing the hard drive. if the clam shells are anything like the snow ibooks i would take it somewhere and have them do it.

iJon

7. vniow macrumors G4

Yeah, I used the OSX install disc utility to format it, the OS9 one allows you to make smaller partitions though.

Installing the drive is a bit of a pain, there's lots of little screws to keep track of.

This will probably come in handy..