Upgrading The iBooks Video Card

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by XIII, Feb 11, 2005.

1. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Is it possible? I know it will muck up your warranty and all, but is it possible to do it, like, physically? Will a service place have a stab at it for me? Its just the video card in the iBook is so weak, and un core image compatible.. :)

Thanks all.

2. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

I think the video card is built right into the logic board of the iBook. You would have to replace the whole thing, which I think would be a little expensive and not worth the cost.

3. john1123 macrumors regular

john1123

not possible for two reasons:

1)the gpu is soldered onto the ibook's logic board. I don't know of any laptops where this is not the case.
    2)there is no laptop GPUs available for you to buy on the consumer market.

4. XIII thread starter macrumors 68040

XIII

:(

Nasty. Meh. I'll have to consider the PowerBooks more again... :S

Thanks guys.

5. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

#1 - Some PC laptop makers like Dell and Alienware do have some models with removeable video cards.

#2 - You can buy them, you just have to buy them direct from the laptop manufacturer.

I wish Apple would start doing this.

6. john1123 macrumors regular

john1123

i stand corrected.

7. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

All those laptops with upgradable video cards... they're not really laptops, but bricktops. I haven't seen one under 12 pounds. LOL

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

That's a card, which is a pain in the ass to remove from a board then resolder into the iBook.

Not very many places in the consumer market to buy replacement GPUs (aka, bare suface mount versions.)

Can't go to CompUSA, Dell, etc. -- you need the specialty electronic parts suppliers.

Not exactly something that is common, since it's usually easier to replace boards than it is to repair them.

9. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

I never said it would work. It wouldnt be a pain in the ass, it would be impossible (like you said, the chip is surface mounted). You couldnt just buy any old chip and solder it down. The chips would have to have the same pinout and same inteface. All I said is I wished Apple put removeable video cards in their laptops.