Upgrading the imac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by carpet, Jan 26, 2005.

1. carpet macrumors member

Jan 13, 2005
    Can i self install an airport extreme card and blue tooth module later on in the new iMac, if i dont have the money for them right now? Also is it hard to upgrade the hard drive later to?
  2. 3-22 macrumors regular

Nov 19, 2002
    Did you read the Apple site by an chance?

Cordless Simplicity

You can trick out your iMac G5 with optional wireless so you only need one cable, for power.

AirPort wireless connection

AirPort Express with AirTunes lets you connect to the Internet, stream music to your home stereo and print remotely. To do so, you'll need an AirPort Extreme card, which you can let Apple install for you or you can do it yourself by following the directions on a handy diagram on the inside of your iMac. You can set up an AirPort wireless network in minutes.

Bluetooth i don't think you can add internally later but you can just buy a cheap usb adapter like the D-Link DBT-120 USB Bluetooth Adapter.
  3. ebook macrumors 6502

Jun 10, 2004
    Sprint Car Capital of the World
    This is any easy answer. Airport...no problem! Three screws to pop off the back put in card and then put the back on. Bluetooth. Well, not possible as far as the built in sort because Apple builds it into your midplane assembly.