upgrading TiPowerBook G4 superdrive firmware

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by PCGamer11, Mar 31, 2004.

1. PCGamer11 macrumors member

yo all! I have a 1ghz TiPowerBook G4 with 1x superdrive, i was wondering if there is a firmware update somewhere to make it burn at 2x?? thanks

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Isn't the speed of the 'burner a hardware issue?

3. TheWitePony macrumors regular

Yeah, I would think that would be a limitation of the hardware itself. Although an update to the firware would bring other good things, greater stability, perhaps support for a wider range of media, so on.

Anyways, I have the same Tibook as you, so if you find an update and some instructions on installing it let me know.

4. PCGamer11 thread starter macrumors member

5. TheWitePony macrumors regular

Very interesting, also looks very scary. Are you going to try it? I don't know if I'm that worried about making my 1x a 2x, but adding DVD-RW would be cool. Although I don't wanna screw anything up. If anyone gets this to work let me know.

6. PCGamer11 thread starter macrumors member

7. TheWitePony macrumors regular

Really? So you're up to 2x now? Which firmware did you choose from the website?

8. PCGamer11 thread starter macrumors member

yup- 'Powerbook Superdrive Unofficial Firmware' is the one i chose :D

9. TheWitePony macrumors regular

Can you run some tests for us over the next couple of days? Can you make DVD-RW's? How is your battery life affected? Any difference in playing DVD movies or data discs? Any other noticeable side affects?

Also, is it possible to revert back to the original firmware if something horrible goes wrong or if the results are just unsatisfactory?

10. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

i'm interested in this thread....

im somewhat disgruntled with my Tibook's superdrive, upon inserting cds the whole computer begins to vibrate from the optical drive, and it even sometimes locks up my system.

maybe ill look into a firmware update... couldnt hurt... well it could

so let me know if u are experiencing any problems and then i will take the plunge

11. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Please read the website before asking questions. It has a very detailed FAQ that will answer all your questions and more. http://superdrive.cynikal.net/

12. TheWitePony macrumors regular

I did read the website, what I want to hear is a witness to the proof of this guys claims of what it does other than just taking the word of the website for truth.

13. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

the update does what it says, altho, when burning at 16x with my current media it is still a dud, as when i was burning at 8x, perhaps when i get home i will try burning at 8x to see if it works, at half of the top speed, because everything seemed to work great at 4x when the top speed was 8x. I'll do some test and get back to you on cd-r's. i not rich enough to test dvd-r's, or dvd-rw's.