upgrading to 10.2 or 10.3

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by zzzuppp, Sep 25, 2004.

1. zzzuppp macrumors member

I have OSX 10.1.5 on a G4.I'm wondering about upgrading,because there are a couple of things that would be useful that we can't get on this platform.Being fairly new to this game,what does this entail? Both in terms of actually doing it and cost

2. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

I think I'm right in saying that when you install either 10.2 or 10.3 over 10.1.5 you can perform an Archive and Install installation, which will keep your system settings and files from 10.1.5, while installing the newer OS. It's more reliable though in the long run to perform a clean install - ie wiping your drive and starting from scratch.

Jaguar can be found very cheaply on Ebay, just look at this:

http://search.ebay.com/mac-os-x-jaguar_W0QQsokeywordredirectZ1QQfromZR8

Panther's quite a bit nicer to use, and is faster, but Jaguar is no disaster. I'd consider going for Jaguar until Tiger comes, which will be in the first half of 2005.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't think you can upgrade from 10.1 to 10.3 anyway, so I think you'll need 10.2 Jaguar to do so. I'd buy a cheap copy off the net, or hell, just borrow it, but buy Panther 10.3. Its well worth the amount of money you pay. Actually, Exposé is worth the cost alone. Everything else is just icing. :)

Welcome to 2004.

4. kewpid macrumors regular

Actually you can upgrade from 10.1 to 10.3 in one hit.

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Pressing the Upgrade button is not advisable.

Do yourself a favor and do an Archive and Install at the very least. Be sure that your computer meets the requirements. Make sure you have enough disk space. Be assured, more RAM is a Good Idea™, you should probably buy that now too.

6. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    can u hold up until tiger

if not jaguar is a cheap upgrade

7. zzzuppp thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all,as ever.I guess I'll do it little by little-but OK,how do i set about doing Archive and Install? I'm tempted to do a fresh Install because somebody here lost our Mail app. somehow-among other things :eek: .If i do that,how do i save any Apps that I've added-can I just whack them on a disc with my files?

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Doing an Archive & Install is easy with Panther.

Running the installation CD, 3 or 4 screens in it asks you what kind of installation you want giving you 3 or 4 choices.

Easy-peasy.

9. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Use Pacifist to get packages off your installer disks.

10. zzzuppp thread starter macrumors member

Thanks folks...and yellow,what about Apps that I've DLed onto the harddrive?

11. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Sorry, my response didn't have anything to do with Archiving and Installing. It was meant as a reference on how to get Mail.app (and other things) off your Installer CDs/DVD without ressorting to an A&I.

12. zzzuppp thread starter macrumors member

In addition i have one major problem which may force my hand.Because I bought the machine from a friend he had his username as the sytem administrator and in a stupid moment of naivety I deleted his name in the Finder files and replaced it with my own,which has led to a lot of problems-and a lot of stuff being lost! So to save everything i have here now-and what I CAN't retrieve,seemingly,what can i do?
    And btw,will the Archive and Install take care of Apps that I've downloaded?-things like extra fonts,software,WMP etc?

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Nothing gets deleted...

It'll be a lot easier on you then to Archive and Install. I would NOT suggest that you preserve User & Networking as you need to recreate the default admin.

Apps in the /Application directory will be untouched (except for Apple apps which will be replaced).

Everything else will be moved in /Previous Systems/Previous Systems 1/. It will be up to you to find the pieces/parts and move them into your newly installed directories. There will probably be some things that you have to reinstall.

Make sure you have enough disk space for an A&I.

14. Inkmonkey macrumors 6502

I just did this last week. From 10.1.whatever to 10.3.5. I just chose the Upgrade option and so far it has worked like a charm. I am only sorry that I didn't upgrade sooner. It seems quite a bit faster and I only have 384 MB of ram.

15. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

OMG Choose 10.3.4 I'm gonna cry because I'm not going to have Expose' on my PB G3. I want that thing so badly, I'd pay $100 just for that little piece of software. I love being able to see all of my active windows and that.

16. zzzuppp thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all for your help.Yellow,when i get the thing,I may call on you for assistance sortiung out this damn admin problem-be warned,folks!Don't edit admin names on the Finder window!!!.Maybe I'll go the whole hog and fork out for Panther-what am I looking at costwise?I notice on eBay that some people specify OSX10.3 discs and others OSX10.3 Upgrade discs-is there any difference?And it seems i can jump straight up from 10.1.5,n'est-ce-pas?
    Next question-where do I find out if I have enough disc space?If I delete some things,does that make space on the hard drive or not?
    Will Expose not run on a G3 or something,slookster?-not that I'm that interested,just...concerned for you :) -objects of desire,y'know,BTDT...

17. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Yes there is a difference the upgrade discs were only available to people who bought a new Mac with 10.2 after 10.3 had been announced, they cost about $19.95 from Apple. it isn't a retail package and checks if you have 10.2 installed.

If you want a good cheap retail price then try OWC, you could get 10.3 for as little as $79.99, if you plan to buy on eBay be very careful make make sure you know what you're bidding on before hand.

18. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

There is no difference between Panther disks – re: upgrade.

The black-boxed version will upgrade or do a clean fresh install, whichever you prefer – it's all the same price.

It shoud contain 4 disks – 3 x black ones (numbered) & 1 x white & blue one for X-code tools

And yes, you can go straight fom 10.1.5 to 10.3...

Download the combo updater to 10.3.4 from Apple first, do your install of Panther, run the updater and you're sorted.

You will notice the difference, believe me.

Personally, I haven't gone to 10.3.5 as I've heard of some teething probs but that's your choice. 10.3.4 seems OK to me...

Yes, you may have to delete some things/back them up but the Panther disks look at your HD and tell you how much space it needs to install.

If space is at a premium, then don't install all the languages and printer descriptions.

Expose should run OK on a G3, maybe a little jerkily but that's just a wild uninformed guess.

Also, the best investment for you would be to buy David Pogue's: Panther -- The Missng Manual. It's really user-friendly, covers all the apps that come with Panther and is worth every penny.

19. niar macrumors newbie

if you do graphics, upgrade to Jaguar!

There are some bad things in Panther are:

Indesign 2 starts processor hogging easily..
    Indesign 2 doesn't recognize some Central European fonts.
    Foreign language support in general is worse than under Jaguar (simple copy-pasteing foreign text actually worked under Jaguar!!!)
    Command+Tab keeps bringing wrong apps to front.
    Illustrator 10 crashes A LOT.
    Photoshop 7 EPS files won't work.. (Classic PS 7 EPS files are OK!)

all problems unknown in Jaguar..

20. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I've had no probs with Command + Tab, or PS7 EPS files, duotones etc.
    Illustrator 10 has been a bit crap but not unworkable...

Besides, if you seriously work in graphics -- you'll have Adobe CS, right?

There ARE reported font mapping probs with Panther but these affect a handful of expert-set postscript Adobe fonts.

Now, as for Quark 6.1 -- that's a different story...

I don't think our friend does work in graphics, otherwise he wouldn't be saying he was new to the game and asking how to find out how much space is free on his HD.

21. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I wouldn't suggest getting Panther Upgrade CDs, if only to save yourself a headache in the future. Especially since you have Puma. If, heaven forbid, for some reason you need to reinstall the OS at a later date, you'd have to wipe your drive, and install 10.1.x, and then use your Panther Upgrade CDs to upgrade to Panther. You cannot boot from Panther Upgrade CDs. Puma doesn't support an Archive and Install.

In fact, IMO, it's CRITICAL that you buy Panther CDs.

22. zzzuppp thread starter macrumors member

Blue velvet,I don't work in graphics-except on my own website-but i do work in music,so some of those files take up a lot of space.
    I'm still confused-some of you seem to suggest there ARE upgrade discs,others not-can someone clarify?

23. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Panther Upgrade Disks exist. I don't suggest getting them. IMO, you'd be better served getting a full Panther install.