Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yogi477

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2002
England
I have just placed an order for a 12" Powerbook to use when I go off to university and I was wondering what is the best way to transfer files from my old iMac (Graphite) to me new laptop when it arrives as some of the files (eg. my mp3 collection) are things that I would want to take with me but are pretty large.

Thanks

pnz999

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2002
btw, whats the estimated time your new PB 12" will arrive? mid-jan? feb?

best way to transfer files is through firewire..press "T" for target disk mode.. its faster than ethernet.

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Go buy an Ethernet crossover cable, you should be able to pick up a short one for under $10. They're invaluable to have, so keep it around. Anyway, just network the two together and you're good to go :)

Also, if you're not getting an Airport network, and you're keeping both computers around, you can share an internet connection over the crossover. Can be handy.

pnw

yogi477

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2002
England
Powerbook

I haven't had a date yet, they just told me that the order would go directly to Apple in Cork as they handle education orders direct. Paul, anything special I need to do with the ethernet cable, is it just a standard one that you might find on a network or a special type? Is there anything I have to do to set up the network or will the other computer appear under the network section in OSX. On the firewire idea, I only have a firewire cable for iMac to DV Camera and one for iMac to iPod I take it neither of these is any good and where do I press 'T' to get target disk mode?

Thanks for your help guys

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
firewire

...as long as the firewire has 2 fat ends it will work.

plug them together and restart the "slave" unit (the imac) while pressing T on the imacs keyboard. hold it down until a firwire icon appears on it's monitor and it will mount on your new powerbook.

transfer away!

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
I'd go Firewire target mode as well. Your iPod cable will work fine for this. If yo have enough space on the iPos, you could just enable it as a hadd drive and use that to transfer. There are a couple of programs out there to get mp3s off the iPod back into a computer, so you might want to do that. This is a good option if you want to boot the iMac before you get the book in, that way you have everythin backed up in your pocket.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.