Upgrading to a Canon A80 Camera - worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by soccerfan, Jul 30, 2004.

1. soccerfan macrumors member

Aug 14, 2002
    Just getting into digital photography. As most Mac folks are, I'm kind of a stickler for quality, precision, etc.

I'm on a budget so money is an issue.

Right now I have a Fuji Finepix 1400 (1.3MP).

I got this from a friend and have never used it.

I'm trying to figure out whether or not it makes sense to spend $280 for the A80.

It's a good price (+$50 gift certificate from Amazon through Sunday)... but I'd hate to dump that kind of money into something that's not THAT much better than what I have.

Any thoughts?
  2. ozone macrumors 6502

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    Don't know how the A80 compares to the Fuji cameras. I do have a Canon A40 and have to say it is excellent especially for a 2.0 megapixel camera. From what I've heard, the A80 is supposedly very good. You should check out online reviews of the A80. I know there is one website (Steve's Digital Cameras or something?) that has excellent, indepth review of all major digital cameras.
  3. Solafaa macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2004
    Daddy said not to talk to strangers
    My friends uses the A80 and i have the A75, even thou the A80 is supposed to be better i like the A75 better. It has amazing pictuer quality and battry life is very good.
  4. soccerfan thread starter macrumors member

Aug 14, 2002
    Any particular reason you like the A75 better?
  5. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Aug 20, 2003
    Long Beach, California
    Hey, I don't know if you bought at all, but I have to say that the A80 is a really good camera. I went to Australia with it, and it was amazing. The pictures are awesome, if you're careful you can get about 5 days from the batteries (4 AA), and it has some great manual controls. I recommend it to anyone looking for a great camera that isn't too expensive.
  6. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2004
    United States
    I have the Canon A70 (which is exactly like the A75) and I love it. I would definetely recommend the A80. Some things I like are that the camera is very easy to handle and operate, it has a flip out screen and is 4 MP. I'd say go for it; I haven't had any troubles with mine.

7. realityisterror macrumors 65816

Aug 30, 2003
    Snellville, GA
    i've also got the A75 and i'm happy with it... flash drains battery fast, but i guess that's true with all digital cameras... :rolleyes: that said, i took mine to israel and italy this summer and got great pics...
    i might go for the A80 in your case, cause that's a great price... i (my mom and dad :cool: ) bought the A75 for $250...
    either way, you'll be happy with a canon camera...

and notice the new avatar to the <left< as this is my 500th post!!! w00t :eek: :D

8. clearly macrumors newbie

Jan 23, 2004
    Lancashire, England
    A80? Yes!

I have a Canon A80 and use it with both my Mac and PC. It's a great camera and I have no hesitation in recommending it. Other family members have Fuji and Olympus models. They also take great photos, but I think the Canon is better made and more robust. Battery life is also excellent.

9. ebook macrumors 6502

Jun 10, 2004
    Sprint Car Capital of the World
    I could re-tell you all of the positive things that have already been said, but I'll save you from reading. I have the A80 and I LOVE it, I know others that have the A70 or 75 and they also love them. In short get and you shouldn't be dissapointed!
  10. johnkrz macrumors member

Jun 30, 2004
    its a good comera used one a few times. im saving up for a digital rebel but thats a little expensive for what u want it forf. it is also a pro camera.