Upgrading to an iBook before MacIntels.

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ScottB, Jul 13, 2005.

1. ScottB macrumors regular

ScottB

I'm a student from the UK and I need a new laptop by september this year, but could wait one/two months after that. I need to know if it would be worth buying one now since it may be a while until the intel based iBook, despite the suggestion to wait on the buyer's guide.

Is there likely to be any iBook revisions before the end of the year, and when will the MacIntel iBook be released?

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

3. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Who knows. Just buy one now, you will like it so much you'll forget anything about a different one.

4. RobHague macrumors 6502

There are a lot of people saying you are crazy to buy a Mac now because its already "obsolete" because of the Intel announcement..

Isnt it going to be like 2006 before we see any low end intels in low end macs (Mini?) and something like 2007 before it makes it upto Power Macs.. IF it makes it that far.

I already read that Apple were going to have PPC and X86 parellel so they are not "dumping" it just adding something new to the hardware lineup :confused:

Very confusing times, if we are confused i cant imagine how confused an average non-computer user would be looking for his first Mac...

"Oh nooes the Intels are coming... better leave it then". :D

5. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Anyone who says that doesn't know how to read. Yeah, I can wait like a month or two, but who in their rightful mind can wait 3 years. I would never buy a Rev. A. anything anyway. Just asking for trouble there.

Go out and buy a shiny new iBook now, you'll love it. Ditch the 30GB HD though, it's only $75 to upgrade to a 60.

6. timmyb macrumors 6502

The average non-computer user wouldn't know about the switch to Intel, and probably wouldn't care.

7. ScottB thread starter macrumors regular

ScottB

Alright thanks dudes, I think I might buy one 'cos my courses should end in bout 2 years which is almost mid-way through the switch