Upgrading to full version Panther from 10.2.8

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rottieboys2, Mar 11, 2007.

1. rottieboys2 macrumors newbie

Hello-
    I want to upgrade to Panther from 10.2.8 on my G4 eMac. I recently submitted a bid on eBay for the full retail version of Panther, but am now concerned that installing the full version might wipe out my current system and all the applications that came with Jaquar (Appleworks, Quicken). I had planned to upgrade to Tiger, but a recent hard disk crash left me spending all my upgrade money on a new hard disk. Is there anyway to install the full version of Panther without wiping out my system? (Not there is anything left after my hard drive crashed-- but I would like applications that came with my eMac.):)

2. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Archive & Install To Keep Everything As It Is

Buy educational version of Tiger for $75. Why waste missing all the features of Tiger by going to Panther? Use Archive and Install option to install and everything you have will be retained.

3. rottieboys2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Would 384 mb of memory be enough to run Tiger? The techs who fixed my computer thought it might be pretty slow given that I only have 384 mb of memory. I just want to be able to install iTunes 7 so that I can use my new iPod.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

There are two ways to upgrade your OS to a new version while preserving your old files. The standard (default) upgrade preserves all of your files. It just works. Archive and Install preserves your older System files in Previous Systems. This requires you to move those old System Files to your new System and Library. In either event, the files in your Home directory are left untouched. The takeaway message is that only if you choose to wipe your previous installation of MacOS X will your new installation delete your old files.

5. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

1GB Sticks Work In The Last 1.42GHz 2005 Model eMac

Yes minimum is 256MB. If it's just for iTunes 7 it'll work just fine and dandy. Can you wait a few more weeks to get Leopard instead? Seems like such a waste to buy an OS X copy right now.

However, you might want to pull the 128MB stick and put in a 512MB stick (or 1GB sticks on the last 2005 1.42GHz model work) for a total of 768MB or 1.25GB respectively to help. Which model eMac do you have?

alternate plan is sell the eMac and buy a new mini after Leopard ships for about the same money.

6. rottieboys2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did check in to getting a new memory stick, but after spending $240 to get a new hard drive installed, I am trying to wait a little while. I have to send my old disk into a "data recovery" place so that I can potentially save 3 yrs worth of pictures from iPhoto. From the information that I have gathered, that can be really expensive.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

he never said that he was a student, so if he isn't he can't get the education version, he should be able to get tiger off of ebay for that price though.

If it has 10.2.8 on it it is defiantly not the last revision of the eMac.

8. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Thanks Mr. Kramer For Explaining The Obvious To Me

Doh! :eek: So that would be either the 800MHz or 1GHz model with max 1GB of RAM with two 512MB sticks.

9. rottieboys2 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the 1GHz PowerPc G4 eMac-- currently with 384 mb. I can do max of two 512 mb sticks. I did end up losing the bid on eBay for Panther and I am not going to bother to keep looking.. so I will check into buying Tiger or wait for Leapord. By the time Leopard comes out, I may be able to upgrade to at least another 512 mb.
    I am an educator so I can get the Tiger for $69, but in looking at the Leopard preview, it looks like it has more features that I would be interested in. Does anyone know about those "eMac Tiger" CD's/DVD's that are on sale in a couple of places (one being eBay)? Is that an OEM system restore disk? I would assume that it would have Appleworks and Quicken along with the OS system?

10. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

AppleWorks Is Discontinued But Works In Rosetta Just Fine

No they don't. Appleworks is over. You have the last version of AppleWorks on your backup CD or maybe on your Jaguar install DVD.

Anticipating why you may or may not "need" or "want" Leopard is not a good way to decide to wait or not wait for it. You can't tell what surprises (good) Apple is engineering into it for you. You need to trust Apple is making it better for you. I always adopt the new OS the day it goes on sale. Apple spends hundreds of millions of dollars developing it for us. I figure the least I can do is to support all that effort and expense with a few of my dollars right away. :rolleyes: