Upgrading to Intel?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacMyDay, Jan 22, 2006.

  1. MacMyDay macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2003
    Location:
    Cambridge, England
    #1
    I put a question mark there, because I'm really not sure if it is an upgrade for ourselves.

    I need to buy 2 new computers: one for myself, one for the designer. I work in web development, which I use nothing more than Word, Terminal, Mail and Safari. So, nothing power hungry at all. However, as you'd suspect, the designer uses Illustrator/Photoshop etc and I'm worried about the decrease in speed, rather than the increase if I buy an Intel iMac for them.
     
  2. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

    DeSnousa

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2005
    Location:
    Brisbane, Australia
    #2
    Well if their job is using those apps I would not buy an intel mac. I would buy them a Powermac or even a PPC iMac (if price is an issue). If they can wait however, wait until the universal binary is made and hopefully a better intel mac by then.

    I would wait imo if it isn't absolutely needed.
     
  3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2004
    #3
    If you're planning to upgrade the Adobe Creative Suite whenever the CS3 comes out then go for the Intel. If you and your colleague have no plans to upgrade the same package at all — preferring to stay on CS1 or 2 — then there's no reason to go for the Intel straight away. Besides, PPC machines will be supported by 3rd-party developers for quite a few years yet as there are so many of them about.

    Have you considered going for a refurb PowerMac?
     
  4. MRU macrumors demi-god

    MRU

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2005
    Location:
    Ireland
    #4
    CS2 in my opinion was one of the worst things Adboe have done to photoshop.

    Adobe Bridge is slow and cumbersome and a memory and cpu hog.

    FileBroswer from CS was great.

    On my powermac G5 with 2.5gb ram photoshop CS was speedy, responsive and hardly ever, ever saw the spod (spinning wheel of death)

    Same mac with CS2 and the programme will stop responding when selecting a layer of text in the middle of a project.. Seem's to be causing memory leaks and cpu spikes which CS did not...

    Worst upgrade I've ever bought.

    I'd be interested to see the perfomance difference of CS & CS2 on the imac duo.
     
  5. MacMyDay thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2003
    Location:
    Cambridge, England
    #5
    Funny you say that, he said exactly the same thing about CS2. I don't actually know anyone who upgraded to it.

    I could go for a PowerMac, but I'm just into the more tidy solution of the iMac (stupid reason, I know). I was going to stick 2GB RAM in it either way, yet I'm still unsure whether to go for for the G5 or the Intel solution. For myself, it doesn't seem to mean anything, because I don't use anything involving much power, so I'll go with the iMac Intel. I might just wait on the other one for the PowerMac upgrade. It's not urgent.
     
  6. MacMyDay thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2003
    Location:
    Cambridge, England
    #6
    Well, I gave in to temptation and actually purchased myself a 17" Intel iMac, 1.5GB RAM, 250GB HD. Now just to wait for it to arrive.... :rolleyes:
     

Share This Page