Upgrading to Panther Now?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by encrypt3d, Aug 10, 2004.

1. encrypt3d macrumors member

Is it wise to Upgrade now because at first the price was holding me back but with EDU discount $69 is awesome. Is it wise to upgrade now with Tiger announced?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i got Panther at that edu discount last october, so Tiger should be the same when it eventually comes out, i would personally wait

3. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Why do you want to upgrade? If it's a matter of needing to so you can run software then you don't have much of a choice. If it's "just for the hell of it" then it's really up to you. You may have another year (more or less) before Tiger though.

And you could have bought Panther for $69 when it was released. Pre-ordered for $69 even.

If you don't decide to upgrade then you probably won't miss much. Until I used Panther I thought Jaguar was pretty flawless.

4. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

Tiger is coming out "first half 2005." That includes June 2005. If the $69 is not a big deal for you to spend now and then again in a year and/or you really want Panther, I would recommend you upgrade now. However, if spending $69 twice in less than a year will burn a hole in your pocket/seems wasteful to you, don't.

5. encrypt3d thread starter macrumors member

no I havea job so its no problem.
    but do I qulify for discount? im a senior in highschool and schools listed on apple site, but the terms were a bit confusing.

6. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

I agree with the above post.

Also, a bit off topic...Panther has three CDs and the X11 CD in the package. I can't remember but is installing the first CD sufficient for most users?

Squire

7. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

if you don't care about the $70 then why not. panther won't drop to $20 until the release date for tiger is definite, and about a month away.

8. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Well, unless you have been accepted by a college or university, you're not technically eligible.
    The High School version only applies for faculty and staff of the high school.
    So either go to college or get a job as a teacher at your school.

9. MacinDoc macrumors 68020

MacinDoc

Of course, to get a job as a teacher, you'll have to go to college first, so it looks like that will be the only way you'll be eligible for an EDU discount.

Now, if you're currently on 10.2, the upgrade to 10.3 will be worth it if the new features, such as user switching and Expose, would increase your productivity between now and WWDC 2005, which I think is the most likely release date for Tiger...

10. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

The discount is for staff.