Upgrading to UB Pro Tools LE

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by TastyCakes, Jan 23, 2007.

1. TastyCakes macrumors newbie

Hi there,

So I bought an Mbox a couple of years ago and only used it a few times with my old G4 ibook on Panther. I now own a 24" intel iMac and I'm trying to figure out how much I need to spend to get a working copy of Pro Tools for intel. My Mbox comes with Pro Tools 5.2.1, 6.1 and 6.2.2 and they all are PPC only. So is there a free upgrade to the universal binary version with what I have now? I see the free upgrade to CoreAudio Drivers but that I guess just allows my computer to use Pro Tools if I have a mactel if I don't install Pro Tools? Which I don't understand entirely.

If there is no free upgrade to a working universal binary with what I've got then where should I pick up the upgrade? And what's a reasonable price to expect then?

Also, if anyone else did this and has any tips I would sure appreciate them. Thanks

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

you're running 6.2.2? nah, that's pretty old, i highly doubt digi made a UB version for that version. iirc, 6.9 was the lowest number. and since 6.9 would be a paid upgrade, you may as well buy an upgrade for the newest version, 7.3.

3. cschreppel macrumors regular

Nope - no UB version of Pro Tools for anything under 7 (maybe 6.9).

Actually, Digidesign doesn't even have any Pro Tools versions that run on both PowerPC and Intel Macs. They have two separate builds for each processor type. But you have access to download both versions when you purchase the upgrade - I have both - one for my PowerMac G4 (PowerPC) which I have since sold and my MacBook (Intel).

*Oops - looks like I stand corrected - Pro Tools 7.3 is a UB...or at least that's what I'm lead to believe...I'll have to see when I upgrade in a few weeks. I don't know if there's separate downloads for PowerPC's and Intel Macs, but looking at www.digidesign.com/compato , it looks like it's just one version now.

ANYWAY - sorry for the drifting off topic. You'd probably be good with one of the new mBoxes. If you think you're going to be doing this for a while, fork out extra for the mBox 2 Pro - the firewire connection is much more stable, faster, and can just handle much, much more.

4. BCains macrumors regular

You'd be best to find out if they are offering the exchanges from your MP
    to the MP2, but its obviously going to cost, but you still save. They were
    recently do this will the 001 to 002 / 002 - Factory version.