Upgrading to Wireless network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lrjr, May 14, 2006.

1. lrjr macrumors newbie

Jun 28, 2003
    Hi, so I'm planning on moving my house into the 21st century with a wireless network. There are two computers that will be networked (as well as a PS3 come november) one a second to last revision powerbook G4 this should prove no problem as it already has airport express.

However i am having difficulty with the second a 17" iMac 800mhz. now i think this has to have an airport rather than airport extreme card installed in it but i am reading conflicting reports on the internet so if anybody could help me out with that it would be greatly appreciated.

My main problem, however, is that i am with BT and i have a USB modem which wont work with the airport express base station (which i am planning on making the centre of the network). I have also noted that USB modems are no longer supported by BT on macs so i think i have two options: 1 phone up BT and bitch at them and hope they send me an ethernet modem or 2 buy an ethernet modem.

in the case of 1 has anyone had any success with this approach (although with BT i doubt it)?

if 2 is the only option available which modem should i go for a BT brand or a third party?

Thanks for your help :D
  2. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You could pay BT to upgrade you to one of their Voyager modems which has an ethernet port.

Or just go buy an ADSL ethernet modem - they're under £30 these days, if not less, so shouldn't be a problem.