Uprgrading The Components

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by ldenman, Jul 26, 2005.

1. ldenman macrumors regular

So, i'm very much hoping to buy an iMac and i know that i can uprgrade the ram and the harddrive, but what about all the other parts like the video card and motherboard?
    what all is exactly upgradable?
    And if its not, why not?

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

HD, Superdrive/Combo, RAM those would be the items that are user upgradeable.

The Video Card is integrated onto the motherboard which is replaceable but not exactly upgradeable.

3. ldenman thread starter macrumors regular

so basically, within a few years, my computer would be obsolete?

and also, can you upgrade components of a dual powermac?

4. macmanmatty macrumors regular

I have calculated my velocity so precisely that a
    Yes, everything on a Powermac g5 is user upgradable expect the motherboard and possibly the processors.

5. ldenman thread starter macrumors regular

hmmm...i just called apple and they said that it will be ok for like 5 years or so, but after that, i should just buy a new mac...that is kinda lame that i cant uprgrade the video card when its out of date...but whatever.
    I guess thats why you can't build your own mac.......or can you?

6. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

don't you think 5 years is a long time to keep a computer? if you're going to keep it longer than that then you should go with a powermac.

i bought my powerbook 1 yr ago, and i wanted to keep it 5-6 years. i'm running tiger on it now, and it should run leopard just fine...so that will probably take me to the 5 year mark, especially for the stuff i do.

the question you need to ask yourself is what kind of programs do you run now, and will run within the next two years (not what you would like to run, but what you will run). with that info it's much easier to make a decision and be content with it because your computer will do what you need it to do.

also keep in mind that with a fast hd (7200+) and tons of ram (2gb+) os x runs hella good.

you can upgrade the hd in the imac as far as i know, maybe get a 10k drive. defenitely go with the best video card you can get.

as far as building your own mac...that's not possible right now.

7. ldenman, Jul 26, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013

ldenman thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for your advice, it really does help. You are right, 5 years IS a long time to have a computer. I run editing programs now along with music programs like reason and cubase. I am gonna get about 1.5gigs of ram, so it should suit my needs for a while.
    After this computer, i would like to get a dual powermac. So yes, i guess everything is good. I think i just want to be sure before spending all that money :D.
    Thanks

8. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

so true...i gave up 2 grand and every powerbook update the last year i sweat it out!

still happy :D

9. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Remember the iMac is a CONSUMER model. It is not designed to be tampered with. It was designed for people don't know how to or don't want to play around inside their computer. Actually you would be in the same situation if you were to buy most of the Dells.

If you want to upgrade go with the PowerMac.

10. ldenman thread starter macrumors regular

hmmm...that is good advice...the next computer i get(after the imac) will be the powermac...for sure. :)