UPS backup for dual 2ghz PM

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by joecool85, Sep 30, 2005.

1. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Well...I want to get a UPS for my Power Mac. Problem is, it pulls 604watts at max output. Ok, so I won't be doing that because I don't have an extra harddrive and I don't have all the USB/FW ports at their max either. But still, thats a lot of power. From what I have figured I will need a 1000va backup to run it for 5 minutes! Thats not cheap! Here is my issue, if I got one with say, 550va backup, does that mean that I would only be able to run it for 2-3 minutes or does it mean my PM would draw too much power for the little bugger to do anything?

Does anyone in here have a PM with a UPS connected? Someone must. iGary? Lacero?

2. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I'd be interested in this also, I'm evetually going to get a VoIP phone service and I'd need a backup for the modems and routers and switches including my dad's PowerMac G4 AGP 450.

Someone here has to have one of these...especially those with big expensive setups :p

BTW how's that Mac SE doin? :)

3. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

Great actually. Love it :) Although for now it is in storage :-( No room in my current place. When I get a bigger place I want to have a room with all my old macs set up in it.

4. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

i have been wondering about this as well, ever since a transformer blew down the street one night and my powermac kept trying to reboot itself and all i heard was a clicking sound coming from it as it reset itself and couldn't draw enough power.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Don't look at the VAs, look at the Output (Watts)...

The 550va will probably be 300W and the 1000va 600W, so you are still looking at something a little bigger or using 2 UPS supplies for backup -- like a 1000va for the machine, and a 500va for everthing else.

Belkin 1100va with 640w capacity is about $130 at CompUSA with AVR for line conditioning.

Basically you can't run the UPS overloaded, they sream/complain and may offer no runtime/surge/AVR protection.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I got some Belkins -- power failed, runtime was approx 1.5 seconds even through I set them up 1 UPS per machine... #$#^ S#!te

Now I stick with APC.

7. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

So basically I'm looking at spending a good chunk of change because my G5 is a power monger?

**edit**
    Most of them don't mention watts...only volts, joules and VAs. Would this be ok?
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...t&productCategoryId=cat08029&id=1091101368673

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

That'll probably be a 400W supply.

Just look at the CompUSA site, they include the Watt ratings.

Don't have to buy there, buy they do offer enough information to make a choice for purchase elsewhere.

The low price UPSs should all be running similar specs 3-5 minutes at max output, it's not until you get to somthing like a Smart UPS which can handle a higher W output or 20 minutes at the same VA rating as other supplies -- of course the prices are insanely high also.

9. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

just because i am at work right now Sun Baked and IE likes to crash every 10 minutes could you give me a gauge on what a insanely high price is?

10. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

A Belkin 1500VA is around $200, and the rest of the home line should be about the same price.

A APC Smart-UPS 1440VA is $870, and the rack mount version is probably a bit more. Of course there are a lot of commercial UPSs well above that price point.

11. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Thank-you, i may have to get an APC one

12. joecool85 thread starter macrumors 65816

joecool85

Looks like 1000VA is roughly 640watts. Which is what I want, so thats probably what I'll be getting.

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Were those straight UPS or the AVR units?

I'd rather get the APC with AVR also -- but people usually complain about the price.

But they are also looking at spending $30-50 when they spend a lot on the computer, which gets you something not much better than a surge suppressor -- since they are unlikely to ever work as a UPS except in very narrow circumstances.