UPS battery and new iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by laryenhilllvr, Feb 17, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

I've had my computer for about a week and i love it (despite the image retention)! unfortunately i think i'm experiencing problems with the UPS; i bought this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i01

every 10 minutes or so it says i'm running on the UPS battery, but it goes away shortly thereafter (less than 30 secs). I also noticed it coincides with the ups display turning on. It's a bit annoying and i'm worried i could damamge the computer. Does anyone know why this could be and how to fix it?

2. macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

Apple Store! They'll do everything or give u a new one :)

3. thread starter macrumors regular

unforunately i'm in a third world country with no apple stores. i was trying to determine if maybe i have the settings wrong or possibly that's not the appropriate ups for the imac or something. i would just hate for a power outage to happen (luckily i haven't had one in my room in a while) and lose everything or damamge something.

4. macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

Have you called the support line in your country? You should be able to just replace the battery but I wouldn't advise this, especially since its still under warranty.

5. macrumors newbie

If you have bad power from the power company then this could just be that the UPS is protecting you by switching to battery supply so this could be completely normal.

Does the UPS have a LAN interface and a management web page / interface ? If so have a look in the logs and it might tell you what is happening.

6. macrumors regular

I think that glintoz has guessed your problem; do you notice lights flickering, or any other electrical problems in your house? How about your neighbors? Running off of the UPS won't hurt your iMac, but bad power coming into your house might cause your UPS to break down; its protecting your goods.

7. macrumors member

I used to have your kind of problems when I was in the third world countries. My ups would always break down every 6 month or so. The reason has to do with voltage. Third world countries, the voltage of the current isn't stable that it could go from 50v to 250 then suddenly nose dive into 20s. What I did was I first get a car battery or bigger which is like 30kw or so, then connect it to inverter with breakers. So what happens is whatever the voltage spikes, my inverter would automatically breaks the current and provide the stable electricity from battery, and when it stable it will recharge the battery at the same time. Then I put ups between inverter and computer as a cushion for breaks. That way my ups last longer than a few months. I hope my experience help with your situation.