UPS, FedEx, DHL, Postal Service or walk it there?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Leareth, Jul 31, 2006.

How would you send a package?

1. UPS

10 vote(s)
  2. FedEx

10 vote(s)
  3. DHL

4 vote(s)
  4. Postal Service - Ground or airmail

13 vote(s)
  5. Walk/Drive to location yourself...

3 vote(s)
  1. Leareth macrumors 68000

Nov 11, 2004
    I have been sending and receiving packages for the last two weeks. I have had every problem under the sun from all the courier companies, like my overnight package being held at customs for 9 days, my regular speed boxes arriving before the express ones...argghh. So anyways here is a poll and thread to deal with horror stories and good stories from the various courier and postal services.

Which company would you use to send a package?
  2. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

Jun 27, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
  3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Recently I've found USPS to be the most reliable...
  4. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    I agree...

Although when someone ships me something and I don't have a choice, I've been fortunate with UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
  5. nbs2 macrumors 68030

Mar 31, 2004
    A geographical oddity
    How far over the border, etc? Lori uses DHL for all her work related shipping, and they are wonderful. The postal service hasn't done me wrong since the anthrax issue of late 2001. But, if it isn't too far, it may just be quicker and cheaper to drive over and hand deliver the material yourself...
  6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    I'd say anyone but DHL, but I'm not too sure about the postal service.
  7. evoluzione macrumors 68010

Jul 19, 2002
    down the road, that's where i'll always be
    USPS sucks. i mailed a cd just last week, a small package from the town PO to NYC, a distance of 100 miles, and i was told it would most likely be there the next took four (4) and it isn't the first time it's happened either.

UPS and FedEx often end up a day or two quicker than forecast for me...DHL? a buddy of mine works for them, they've improved greatly i hear, and i've used them once, no problems there.
  8. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Apr 1, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    My parents used to send packages daily. They used USPS and never had any problems.
  9. Raid macrumors 68020

Feb 18, 2003
    Heh, I wanted to vote for "a swallow". I hear they are good for transporting coconuts.... ;)

I don't have any horror stories, but people shouldn't blame shipping companies for customs delays (unless its a waiting for paperwork issue) some times customs just gets backed up and it takes awhile for the goods to clear. Their ain't much UPS, FedEx or other companies can do about that.
  10. yg17 macrumors G5

Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    UPS, USPS and FedEx have all done something to piss me off at one point. I've yet to have a damaged package from them, or a package get lost, yet I always get unneccesary waits and delays. I think the worst was when I sold a digital camera on eBay to someone in Canada, and UPS let it sit in customs for about a week. Both the buyer and I had quite a scare there. Although when I purchased something that came from Canada last year, it was in and out of customs in a day. Lately, UPS has gotten better, and FedEx has gotten worse. I use to prefer FedEx over UPS, but now it's quite the opposite.

I've only delt with DHL on a few occasions. Twice was sending my PowerBook to AppleCare for repair, and everything got their overnight. Other times were miscellaneous packages, and they all have arrived on time if not earlier. My most recent DHL shipment, was an international edition of a textbook I purchased off eBay. Much to my surprise, the book shipped out of Thailand, via DHL. It left Thailand on a Monday, and was at my door in St. Louis on Wednesday afternoon. I'd consider that excellent service, especially considering the fact that sending stuff between college (Rolla, MO) and home (STL) takes that long, if not longer.....and they're about 100 miles apart. I've had packages coming from places as close as Chicago take nearly a week to get to me....and DHL can get a package halfway around the world in less than 3 days. So in the few times I've used DHL, they have never, ever screwed something up.
  11. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

Jun 27, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    yeah, DHL sucks. FedEx is usually solid for me
  12. benthewraith macrumors 68040

May 27, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Anyone except UPS. I had issues with them up the ying yang. They lost stuff that we've ordered, delivered to the wrong addresses, etc.

I say FedEx.