UPS for Mac and PC

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Razorhog, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Hey all, I was wondering if anyone is using a single UPS for 2 computers - a Mac and a PC. Should I look for something powerful enough to sustain both computers and some peripherals for a decent amount of time, or get separate UPS's. I have a 24" iMac (ordered today) and my Windows XP box. I doubt there is a UPS that will communicate with both a PC and Mac at the same time, and I'd like for the unit to shut down the computers in the event of power failure. Thanks

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I've been thinking about something like this also... or perhaps more for powering a bunch of low wattage minor stuff (like the cable modem and the AEBS and the DVR) plus giving my iBook better surge protection and my iMac UPS. Technically the iMac is the only thing that really needs the UPS, though, so I guess in my case that being able to talk to two devices is not so important.

I think you'd have to find a UPS that has more than one USB output?

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

There are server-class UPSs with more than one port, but I think you'd likely be better off buying two consumer-class ones, which likely would cost you less. One decent one with Mac connectivity into which you'd plug most things, and one cheap one just for the PC - simply because most of the cheaper UPSs out there won't talk to Macs.

Be certain to get ones with AVR (automatic voltage regulation). It's crazy not to, esp. because the price differential is minor. AVR provides much cleaner power to the systems in the event of power sags or overvoltages.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

So I forum searched and found... shock, an old thread where you made recommendations, sir.

You recommended one from CyberPower. Then I saw in another thread some discssion about noise concerns. Are most UPS's silent when not actively providing emergency backup power?

I'm sorry to thread jack -- it seems indeed for the OP like two smaller / cheaper ones would be better. But I'm almost wondering for myself if I couldn't get one big one and plug all the electronics in the living room through it.

5. Razorhog thread starter macrumors 65816

Razorhog

6. bossass macrumors regular