UPS for Mac Mini

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ifti, Dec 11, 2012.

1. macrumors 65816

Dec 14, 2010
    I have the Mac Mini noted in my sig.
    I am looking for a suitable UPS, and am after any suggestions?
    Will just have the Mac Mini, and maybe an external HDD connected in the future.

I also like to stay power efficient (reduces those damn bills) - does a UPS consume much extra power? I guess its just topping up what the mac mini uses, so power consumption should be minimal?
  2. macrumors 65816

Oct 26, 2009
    Down the rabbit hole
  3. macrumors 68020

May 20, 2011
    Make sure you read the features of the different models. Some are better suited than others for what you want. I always liked the SmartUPS models. They have user replaceable batteries as well. I have this unit myself, APC Smart-UPS C 1500VA LCD 120V and it provides about 25-27 minutes of runtime for my setup (23" Monitor, Mac Mini, Printer, 5 port network switch). It runs about 350-400 but its worth it over those cheap <150 models that don't provide much warning through their displays. Heck, I onced used that model to power a fridge for 43 minutes, granted the fridge was in idle mode.

Most power comes back on within 1 minute, but we had a few that lasted longer than 5. If you are just looking for something that will shutdown safely when power goes out, then maybe a 1000VA would be sufficient and save you about 60-80 bucks and cut your runtime down to 15-17 minutes.