UPS Sucks...

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGary, Jul 22, 2005.

1. iGary Guest

iGary

So I ordered 2GB of RAM from Crucial last night and use the good old Monkey Labs package tracker widget...

"Attempted delivery, no one at residence to accept."

Um, I haven't left the house since 9 last night.

Then the lady calls form UPS and the driver said that he left a note on the door saying that he attempted delivery.

BS - No note.

I'm guessing he saw it was a residential condo delivery (UPS Red Overnight) and didn't feel like dealing with it.

So the lady tells me to put a note on the door if I have to leave allowing him to just leave the package because he doesn't know when he'll be able to get back here. Ok, so I paid 20 bucks to get two little sticks of RAM here overnight and the driver's answer is "I'll get there when I get there?"

Um, no.

I politely ask her to call him back and tell him to deliver the package. She says she has no control over the drivers. Now I get to call Crucial and tell them to refund my shipping, which I am sure will be a treat.

As an aside, my daily FedEx packages arrived here at 10:15 sharp as always.

Now I have to wait around (I had errands to run) to wait for this asshat, or risk leaving $250.00 worth of RAM on my doorstep.

Thanks for allowing me to whine and cry. *pissed*

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

excited to see that the bad word finder doesn't mind asshat!

oh yeah, sorry to hear about ups ;) :D (i use fed ex as often as possible)

3. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

I normally like UPS...but right now I don't. First they don't update their shipping thing, so for a week it says "departed from san pablo,ca" and then they finally do but my package is suppose to be here by now and it isn't. I want my damn KVM switch.

4. Church macrumors regular

Church

All of the shipping companies blow, get over it everyone. There are too many workers for the companies to keep a consistent service and not pull your leg when you just fell out of the 3rd story of your buliding. I say if you don't want to deal with bs service, there's always compusa or someother store that screws you in the price. Until the shipping services are automated completely and we have big airtubes sending packages to everyone's house, quit whining, because there's always going to be messups and whining about it profusely on internet forums where it doesn't do any good won't help any. There. (SPAM BLOCKER OFF)

5. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

if the dude wants to vent a little, let him vent... who are you to tell us what we should or shouldn't discus in the forums... :confused:

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I use FedEx anytime I've got something to ship. California Overnight sometimes, but they're slightly less timely. UPS blows. Every time I've had to use them.

7. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

No, don't say that. I really like UPS! In the interest of full disclosure I own some of their stock :D

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

ups does NOT suck..its DHL that blows...te-he

9. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

I've never used DHL, but I have used UPS and Fedex and out of the two I normally like UPS better. Despite my package not being here yet...

10. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

my girlfriend used to live in an apartment building with 4 apts in it in arlington, va. ups refused to leave packages at her door, even if she signed disclaimers and all that. her option? drive 15 miles in rush hour traffic to the pickup center that closes at like 7 pm. so she ended up having all her ups stuff rerouted to me as i have a delivery dropoff at our business center or whatever.

she recently bought a condo in a big old condo place. she figured, "well now they won't have to leave it outside, they can just leave it in the hallway, so no problem right?" wrong. still won't let her sign a disclaimer and have them leave it. won't let the building manager sign for it either.

i have a feeling she could probably ask to speak to supervisors or something and get a blanket "leave at door" note in her account... but possibly not. i think if you're willing to write off the right to hold ups responsible, then they should let you. so dumb.

11. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

The Fed-Ex man can find out house. The UPS man can't. Enough said...

12. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

UPS has policies about apartments and multi-residential dwellings because they are afraid someone will steal something if it's left at the door. Many times they can't get in gated communities or condos because people aren't allowed to roam the property, service oriented or not.

I worked for a food manufacturer that shipped a frozen product overnight via UPS. Our service success rate was 99% plus. (50-60 shipments a week normally, 500-600 a day during Christmas) We were in constant discussions with our UPS rep about service issues and special circumstances. We asked our customers about their residence (or about where the gift was being sent) to ensure someone would be around, and asked them intently about policies if they lived in apartments or condos or the like.

Bottom line, the best bet is to have something delivered to your place of business. I think UPS stores will receive things for you, too.

We never spoke with FedEx because we were happy. Actually, several FedEx employees purchased gifts from us and had them picked up by FedEx. They told us someone would like to contact us about service, but we never heard from anyone (this happened several times).

We started doing a little DHL business because they were so cheap. But we were very picky in our service areas. Again, we familiarized ourselves with their service procedures. They aren't very good.

13. sprstu macrumors member

sprstu

I dont know, I have bad experiences with everyone. When I ordered my powerbook they sent it fedex, it was supposed to be at my door by 2 pm on wed so I waited. I had to go to school at 6 pm so I figured I would have some good ol play with my new toy time, but nope, i didnt. The guy was late, and didnt deliver until 648 says fedex tracking. Well by then I was at school and had to wait a whole day to get it. And when I go home there was no note on the door saying they trued to get it to me. I had to go to the fedex site and track to find that they did indeed try to deliver. So I called on thurs morning and they would "try" to get it to me by 2 pm. Thankfully it showed up at 4 so I was able to play before school.
    At any rate, there are a lot of variables when shipping, so I never expect anything special.

14. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

well, my story:

ordered a dell 24", paid $23 for 2nd Day delivery.

UPS resheduled delivery to 3rd Day. Don't know why.
    Waiting for the parcel. I'm not there for 30 min and find in my front yard in the grass a note saying final attempt. Call this number to pick up your parcel. Call the number, been 15 min on phone hold, got kicked out.
    Call again, guy says package is in their location after 8pm. He's calling me back. Still waiting for that call.

It's unlikely that the UPS guy made 3 delivery attempts in 30 min. In fact they always leave the note saying final attempt. Oncwe i caught them red handed when i opened the door late and he had the note already written as final attempt.

So I hope that business people here read it and decide not to ship via UPS! That's why I'm posting on this forum.

15. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I personally feel that all shipping companies after ups and downs. I've used UPS and Fedex with no problems. One time when I ordered some software I wasn't home and they left a note saying that they were there, but I wasn't, so they would be back tomorrow, and I the next day it was delivered (that was with UPS).

Do hope it all works out for you though.

16. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

Well, they just delivered my stuff and I'm a happy camper. Unfortunetly I only have an hour before I have to be at work :-( So I won't get to play with all my new goodies too much until tomorrow.

Here's what I got:

Mac OS 9.2.2
    KVM switch (w/usb)
    USB cables
    VGA cables
    apple-vga adapter

Installing 9.2.2 on my PM right now. Eventually it will probably see OS X, but not until it gets a sonnet G4 and some more ram.

17. MacHarne macrumors 6502

Agreed. UPS totally sucks compared to FedEx, at least in my area.

On a side note, I'm going to be in Annapolis for a few hours tomorrow. Have any suggestions of things to see or Apple Stores to browse?

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Although its certainly inconvienent, you can always tell them to hold it at the sort facility and go pick it up. Might save you some hassle.

19. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

This thread is not very comforting. UPS should be bringing by a LightScribe enabled DVD burner for me today, still a no show and I have to go to work in about an hour.

20. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

UPS=union workers 'nuff said.
    People can complain all they want about the service and nothing will change cuz they're union.

I alway use FedEx because they always deliver on time. If the package needs a signature, I just run down to their office (which is open until 9pm) and pick it up.

21. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

they are a union shop? all of them or just the parcel part in the US? it would explain a lot...

22. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Here's my beef:

I was home ALL MORNING.

The driver said he attempted delivery.

Um, yeah, right.

He also told the dispatcher sho called me that he left a yellow tag on my door.

Um, nope.

My FedEx driver (I get about 5 FedEx packages a day) calls me every day to see when I will be home. That's service.

I was going to open up a UPS account. Forget that.

He finally showed up at one, no apologies, nothing.

Asshat.

23. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

They all are union except maybe management.
    I think UPS and FedEx should have a feedback system tied to the tracking system. If the driver was rude, package late/damaged, etc. give 'em bad feedback. Maybe then management would see who are the problem employees and address it.

24. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

update:

ups called me 7:20 this evening. i was supposed to be able to pick up the monitor at their location. but the driver was too early back at the center. so he unloaded the truck and my monitor was in the building first and is now buried under 3 truckloads of packages. no way for them to get it out. so i have to wait till monday and then they are no delivering it to me but i have to be there between 8pm and 9pm and pick it up. hopefully......

at this time it's actually funny. mostly because i paid 23 dollar for that show :rolleyes:

25. iGary thread starter Guest

iGary

Oh, I'm not paying for the effing shipping. 1:00 it got here. I paid for 10:30 delivery. Fed Ex had my PowerMac here from California in less than 12 hours, and without a scratch on the box. The displays as well.

I love me some FedEx.

UPS is good for Ground service of large parcels. Leave expedited stuff to FedEx.