UPS with auto-shutdown

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Yaffle, Jan 2, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Now that I have my new fully loaded 27" iMac home and getting the TLC it rightly deserves, I'm in the market for a good UPS solution. What are the best recommended UPS that would keep the unit up and running for a couple of hours and allow me to program it to shut the iMac down before the battery drains. I had a look at some of the APC’s on the market but the PowerChute software is Windows based. Just wondering if there is a Mac version out there somewhere!

2. macrumors 6502

3. macrumors 6502

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestions, really appreciated. Yeah 2 hrs sounds like overkill I doubt if I will require that much up-time. I basically want to protect it from power spikes during and after a power outage and have some up-time to either shut down manually if I'm around or automatic if not. I will also have another monitor to support and an external backup drive.

Thanks again...

5. macrumors regular

Experience here likewise, CyberPower over APC.

6. macrumors 68040

I have our computers set to power down the iMacs when the UPS reaches 50% capacity. I have the external drives plugged into battery backed up ports too, and they will continue running until the batteries are exhausted. That prevents any I/O operations on the disks when the UPS is exhausted.

/Jim