UPS with auto-shutdown

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Yaffle, Jan 2, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

Nov 28, 2012
    Now that I have my new fully loaded 27" iMac home and getting the TLC it rightly deserves, I'm in the market for a good UPS solution. What are the best recommended UPS that would keep the unit up and running for a couple of hours and allow me to program it to shut the iMac down before the battery drains. I had a look at some of the APC’s on the market but the PowerChute software is Windows based. Just wondering if there is a Mac version out there somewhere!
  2. macrumors 6502

Mar 28, 2011
  3. macrumors 6502

Oct 11, 2012
  4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Nov 28, 2012
    Thanks for the suggestions, really appreciated. Yeah 2 hrs sounds like overkill I doubt if I will require that much up-time. I basically want to protect it from power spikes during and after a power outage and have some up-time to either shut down manually if I'm around or automatic if not. I will also have another monitor to support and an external backup drive.

Thanks again...
  5. macrumors regular

Apr 28, 2012
    Eastern Shore, USA
    Experience here likewise, CyberPower over APC.
  6. macrumors 68040

Aug 9, 2009
    Portland, OR
    I have our computers set to power down the iMacs when the UPS reaches 50% capacity. I have the external drives plugged into battery backed up ports too, and they will continue running until the batteries are exhausted. That prevents any I/O operations on the disks when the UPS is exhausted.