Uptime - How long has your Mac been running?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by xlacrosse, Mar 19, 2003.

1. xlacrosse macrumors newbie

Hey Everyone... in my quest to see how long jaguar will keep on ticking without a reboot, ive hit a all time personal length of 26 Days. Running 10.2.4

what kinda times has everyone else gotten?

Attached Files:

2. vniow macrumors G4

I made a thread like this awhile back but only three people replied.[​IMG]

Link if interested.

Ah well, I had to restart for the Java update I think so it's hardly impressive:

Attached Files:

3. janey macrumors 603

janey

i did too...and a whole bunch of other software and because i finally got a KP on one of the power macs (first time ever on that comp!)
    about 15 minutes :cool:

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

damn, if this had been hours eariler... :(
    I had 15 days running a couple hours ago... so mine sucks... ;)

5. ddtlm macrumors 65816

Almost 128 days on my Linux machine where patches are less reboot-happy, compared to OSX. Last reboot was due to a temperature alarm and the one before that was due to moving. If Apple stops requireing so many reboots for patches you will grow bored with uptime soon enough. :)

6. eyeluvmyimac macrumors regular

xlacrosse - very very very nice chocie of a desktop. I absolutely LOVE the g35 coupe, and have ever since I learned about it almost a year ago. If you like it too or even have one (lucky devil) check out www.6mt.net

7. saint macrumors regular

I had 64 days on my iBook before I had to install the 10.2.4 update- was quite surprised when I saw it was that long.

Only up to 7 days at the moment.

8. xlacrosse thread starter macrumors newbie

hey eyeluvmyimac the red G35 on my desktop isnt mine. But i do own a Laser Red 6mt G35 Coupe With Nav and Aero Package ;) I Love my Car! 6mt.net is a sweet site, i ussualy read the forums at feshalloy.com and my350z.com

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've only got 15 and 16 days on my machines at home, not sure about the office. Only thing is, with the recent updates to some of the software, this isn't a truly good way to gauge how long you've been running.

I'm doing Folding@home all the time. The machines are never down.

D

10. Bear macrumors G3

8:28AM up 9 days, 14:51, 3 users, load averages: 0.80, 0.26, 0.10

But how much of any Mac's uptime was spent sleeping?

My last reboot was the Java install. Before that was probably the 10.2.4 upgrade.

I wonder how many different uptime threads there have been in these forums anyway.

11. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i restart every couple of days for various reasons... software updates or restarting in os 9 and things like that

12. thekaiser macrumors member

I restart every couple of days. However, I think that I am still in my Windows world in which that was a reality. I am sure that I would not have to do this. Does anyone know of any distinct advantages to restarting every couple of days or should I just let it go? Let me know what you guys think or have experienced. Thanks.

13. MACaccino macrumors newbie

xlacrosse, love the Infiniti G35 Coupe on your background. Sweet:cool:

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I shut down every night to keep her cool. FCP doesn't seem to like running on a "hot mac" and a dual gig w/4 internal HDDs gets kinda toasty. ;)

My Win2k box stays up for 3-4 months at a time.

Lethal

15. alset macrumors 65816

alset

My best was around 23 days. Now I can't seem to get past 5 days without installing new software that requires a reboot or running into bugs in 10.24 that take the whole system down.

I'm curious how much activity on machines that have been running for 30+ days. I was using mine constantly when I hit my best, but I also know that I could achieve well over 100 days with my old graphite that I only use for folding if I wasn't ever using it.

Dan

16. icetraxxg5 macrumors 6502

I am currently at 6 minutes uptime ;)

There is a big storm right now and the power keeps going out.

17. xlacrosse thread starter macrumors newbie

Im holding back on installing any updates until she craps out ;) So far im at 27 days.

18. Cheese macrumors 6502

Cheese

In the refrigerated section at your grocer
    Up for three days. I sometimes power down in the event of a bad thunderstorm. You know... unplug things so they don't blow up too bad!!

19. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

nice pic

what's up with all the damn icons on the desktop?

9 days uptime...

20. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i think that sleeping the comp when you aren't using it, for a mac with OS X, is worse than leaving it on and idle. that allows it to run its maintenance scripts, which is why you need macjanitor, or you can run the scripts
    (/etc/weekly /etc/daily /etc/monthly) yourself.

anyways, my personal best on my Tibook was 20 days 22:30 hours or so. my DVD player started spazzing out and i got pissed and restarted, after which time it worked fine.

current is 7 days 6:31, working my way back up. i want to have it up for a month :D

21. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

you can run the updates and then kill update from the terminal when it says it is done and asks you to restart :). of course, you still have to wait for when you crap out for a lot of them to take place, but there you have it. just run top, find the process number of software update, then close top, and type "kill x", with x being the number.
    this is why i love having a laptop :D

22. sparks9 macrumors 6502a

why don't you shut down the computer at night or when you're not home? I always do...
    BTW: I'm running win2000 and it haven't crashed in a very long time... but rebooting is often needed when installing new programmes and drivers.

23. xlacrosse thread starter macrumors newbie

That would involve more time before my computer is useable. You know New Yorkers cant stand waiting for anything.

:D

24. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

xlacrosse is right. it's more time you have to wait through when starting back up. why would you want to do that, especially when it isn't helpful? restarting works wonders on Windows; that's rarely the case for OS X.

25. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

Well I've only been up for 4 days right now, Java update. I usually only have to restart due to updates.

On another note, my Airport has been up for almost a month now, and it only went down then cuz i blew the breakers.