uptime of powermac

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jtalerico, Dec 12, 2005.

1. jtalerico macrumors 6502

Nov 23, 2005
    What do you guys think the proper way of mantaining the mac system is? Should I do stanby? Hibernate? Or can it just stay on at all times? What do you guys think?
  2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    Being that I'm pretty sure that powermacs do not have hibernate or standby, I'd just put it too sleep after a certain amount of inactivity unless you are constantly using. I would also put it to sleep at night unless it is running some processes for you.
  3. Xephian macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2005
    United States
    I leave my Quad Power Mac on all the time but put it to sleep at night if there is nothing going on.
  4. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    I turn mine off every night.

I have far less hang up issues and other gremlins with a fresh start every day. *shrug*
  5. revisionA macrumors 6502

May 27, 2005
    Sleep at night, or while away from home.... never a problem.

Only restart when told to otherwise.

6. Sunrunner macrumors 6502a

Nov 27, 2003

Now if only Apple would start making the system updates a mandatory restart... those updates are the big uptime killer.
  7. Josh macrumors 68000

Mar 4, 2004
    State College, PA
    The only time I shutdown/restart is when updates require it.

I usually leave my powermac on all night, as it runs process at night to clean things up (they all do).

Occasionally I put it to sleep at night, and if I'll be gone for a long time (more than an entire day), I'll put it to sleep before I leave.
  8. joecool85 macrumors 65816

Mar 9, 2005
    I put mine to sleep whenever I'm not on it...I never shut it off. Only restart when required/if things seem sluggish (very rare.) btw, I can only imagine leaving it on all the time wouldn't be good for the electric bill seeing as it uses something like 120-130watts idle. Well...I suppose thats not too bad. But still, for a poor college kid like me (that spent almost every last penny to get my PM lol), I need to save money anywhere I can.
  9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    I sleep all of my Macs. They only draw a few watts while asleep. My iMac G5 is a great space heater. So I have it on Highest when it's cold. :rolleyes:
  10. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

Oct 19, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    Yeah I ussually sleep mine when ever I walk away from it, unless I'm running bit torrent at the time.
  11. desenso macrumors 6502a

May 25, 2005
    I usually leave mine on for about 16 hours of the day. I sleep it when I actually go to sleep. The only time I restart / shut it down is if I have to (update) or if I'm leaving for over a week.
  12. Daedalus256 macrumors 6502

Nov 7, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My sawtooth is left on 24/7. I actually just shut it down this morning to move it and didn't boot it back up but yeah for two solid straight weeks it was on without any problems.
  13. camomac macrumors 6502a

Jan 26, 2005
    Left Coast
    i leave mine running 24/7 goes to sleep only when i'm not home, or in bed.
  14. ipacmm macrumors 65816

Jun 17, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    I leave my quad on all the time, when I first got it I put it to sleep when I wasn't on it but when I would wake it up, the speakers would make a really loud sound...so I just leave it on all the time now unless I am away.
  15. doucy2 macrumors 65816

Jul 7, 2005
    i leave my powermac on all the time
    run fine still
    although my camera crashes it every so often lol

at night i just hit the power buttin off on my monitor

it works for me :)
  16. Hyernel macrumors member

Oct 21, 2005
    I tried to turn mine off once, but then a voice came on that told me that: "I don't think you want to do that, Dave." And I was like WTF? Who is this Dave? So then I said to my computer, "Now Hal..." That's a total coincidence by the way, but I said, "Now Hal...I just want to shut you down for a little while until we leave Jupiter orbit." And then Hal said, "You dork! You live in a house in Florida, not in a spaceship in orbit around Jupiter!" Then a human hand flashed up on the screen, making the "L" sign...

Umm...I just sleep it. It runs SETI and Einstein at night.
  17. slimflem macrumors regular

Sep 10, 2005
    OS X is a Unix machine, there is generally no need to reboot except for hardware issues, moving locations, or required software driver updates. My first job out of school was programming on AIX machines at a 911 vendor. There was an RS/6000 that had an uptime of ~2 years. I know this because it was never rebooted during my time at the company. That's impressive and this was 1995.

OS X might not be on the level of AIX, but I'm sure there are users of OS X servers with extremely long up times. :)
  18. jtalerico thread starter macrumors 6502

Nov 23, 2005

I was thinking more in the hardware direction.. Not the OS.
  19. cblackburn macrumors regular

Jul 5, 2005
    London, UK
    [root@sleepy root]# uptime
     10:58pm  up 103 days, 47 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
    [root@sleepy root]# whatis downtime 
    downtime: nothing appropriate
    If you have to reboot a unix system you've done something wrong :)

20. Xephian macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2005
    United States
    A bit off-topic but you have a really nice setup. What do you do to get that much money to afford all those Macs?