Uptime

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by buffsldr, Apr 14, 2002.

1. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

Anyone care to go on a reboot-strike with me? I am at 5 days uptime. I want to see how long I can go. You can go to the terminal in OS X and type "uptime" (without the quotes) and it will tell you how longs it's been.

2. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Last time there was an 'uptime' thread I tried to go on a reboot strike. I got to 10 days and then couldn't help but install the updates that were staring at me lustfully from the Software Update control panel (which required a restart).

I'll happily gon a reboot strike with you, as long as I can un-strike when a new update comes out :)

Even though I chose to reboot after 10 days, I still feel more than comfortable knowing that I can easily out-uptime any windoze user.

3. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

Its hard because I install every update there is out there and I usually can't make 3-4 days
    But when I get my new imac I'll try

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'm not running OSX on my G4 tower, other wise I'd be in. Its been going for about 3 weeks now. My TiPB gets shutdown everyday.

5. King Cobra macrumors 603

My father has a Firewire Powerbook G3 at 400MHz running OS 9.0.4, which he almost NEVER restarts. The last time it had to be restarted was when he installed the Airport software, which was around three weeks ago.

Usually my father goes months on end without restarting the PB, but he does put it to sleep and recharge it often.

Any time is a great time for iPod.

6. buffsldr thread starter macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

Okay, i am feeling a little stupid. I kicked the power cord and goodbye uptime experiment. Ouch. In a strange way it feels good to know that I am the weak link in my computer. I spent far too many hours dealing with "Not Responding" messages, getting the BSOD, or just giving my pc the 3 finger salute.

I restart today. First day of uptime, I will keep y'all posted right here.

PS I am using OmniWeb and rather like it. Much cleaner look and it even spell checks my posts.

7. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    why?

my ti only gets shut on updates. i take it everywhere with me and it only sleeps.

shutting down is a thing of the past.

8. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

As the starter of the previous "Uptime" thread I am more than glad to join the reboot strike...
    I am at 15 days, 5 hours, 14 minutes and counting...

I posted this in the other thread, but I think the example really drives the point home.

My coworker was doing this exact experiment...no reboots/shutdowns/updates...he was at 50 days and counting as of Friday when we got hit by a power outage...bye bye uptime...:(

OS X is more stable than the power supply at the second largest university in California!!!

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: why?

So I did that this morning. I hadn't really thought it through before and it definitely makes getting started much quicker.

One question though. If the battery dies and its goes into sleep mode, how long will it stay that way until I replace the battery or plug it in?

10. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

It sucks I have to reboot evrytime I sleep
    my computer cause my internet connecttion stuffs up after I sleep it
    It Telstra bigpond what do you expect

11. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: Re: why?

Usually mine comes on at about 5% or less...when it sleeps it barely consumes any energy, so you might have as long as 8 hours to find a power source...

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Re: Re: Re: why?

I've actually swiched batteries while in sleep mode and it saved the settings and screen info when I woke it up. I was worried at first with it not having any power at all, but I'm now wondering how it does this. When everything is disconnected does it still have some power in an internal battery that saves the CPU state at sleep time?

Very cool none the less.

13. sevag1 macrumors member

i would keep my computer on for more than one day.. but whenever it goes to sleep, it disconnects my internet, which is very annyoing when i have aim and irc and other internet apps open while its on sleep..

14. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I'll join, when I get my next tower. I have gotten into the routine of shutting down my TiBook every night when I am finished, and then just powering it up the next day. I never really have any issue with the time it takes to come up, since I am usually just getting home when I do that, and have to make some dinnah first.

If it wasn't for the heat issue, I would be more inclined to leave it running. Oh yeah, and I only have the screensave go active after 10 minutes of no activity. I found that it is much happier if I don't have the drive spin down, or do any processor speed cycling. Makes the wake from screensaver happen in an instant.

I just hope something gets released incredible at MWNY and I am able to afford buying it. I would love a G5, but would take a GHz+ single processor G4 as well. Top it all off with a Radeon 8500 (either 64MB or 128MB) and I will be rushing to get one. With there being three Apple retail locations under 1-1/2 hours from me, I am fairly certain that I could get one fast enough. :D

15. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Doh!

I had a 17 day streak going. Then my screensaver came on and wouldn't go off. I tried flippin' everything to no avail. This has happened once before too.

Sure, the computer is still running and I can see it over the network. But a computer with no user interface whatsoever is not exactly very useful.

Grrrr...

Matthew

16. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'd join if I didn't need to startup in 9.2 sometimes...

I know my uptime would be killer since I keep my TiBook asleep while I'm away from it...

unfortunately I need to every now & then to do work & occasionally crash... :rolleyes:

17. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Doh!

In the immortal words of the seer Nelson... Haa haaaaa!!!

ROTFLMAO!!

Sorry, couldn't resit the "Doh!"

18. iGav macrumors G3

I always shut down my TiBook at the end of each working day, and start up first thing the next day.....

Magic.

19. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I used to shut mine down as well...but then I figured the system does absolutely nothing while asleep and is safe (provided no power problems & such)...I do, however, shut it down and unplug everything when I know there will be bad weather while I'm away...

less strain on the system itself to wake-up than to startup up consistently as far as I'm concerned...

20. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Re: Re: Re: why?

i find the exact opposite to be true of my iBook, and i have no idea why. it can go to sleep on a full battery at night, and ten hours later be down to 40-45%. what's that all about?!

21. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Re: Re: Re: why?

Lets see... 10 hours of running, using about 5.5% to 6% battery charge per hour... that seems pretty damned little to me. Granted, I always shut mine down when I am done with it. Especially if I am going anywhere with it. The shock tolerances for the system when it is powered off is significantly higher then when it has power (even in sleep mode).