Uptime

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mms, Feb 4, 2004.

1. mms macrumors 6502a

Does the time shown in the Unix command "uptime" include time spent in sleep?

2. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

current time, up 1 day, another time, no. of users ,load averages.
    Now what is the second time ? is it the exact time since the computer is on?

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

20:43 up 1 day, 23:44, 2 users, load averages: 0.10 0.19 0.22

- Current time is 20:43
    - System has been up for 1 day, 23 hours, and 44 minutes
    - 2 users on the system at the moment
    - CPU hasn't had too much load recently

Hope this helps :)

4. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

my time

9:43 up 1 day, 11:29, 2 users, load averages: 0.31 0.16 0.09

would be up longer if I didn't do that reboot

5. mms thread starter macrumors 6502a

16:53 up 7:13, 2 users, load averages: 0.62 0.54 0.43

What are the load averages? Also, it's saying two users when I am the only user logged in right now. Why is this happening?

6. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Load average is how much load your system is having over a period of time. Example being "0.6" would be 60%. As far as it saying two users, it's because you are logged in, then you have your session in the terminal counting as the second instance, hence two users.

7. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

The 0.6 isn't a percentage. I've seen uptime load averages go up to 16.00 before, but of course the system is dead slow at that point. It's more of a general number, and some systems will run normally with a higher number, so you need to watch it to determine a baseline. The load average is an overall load value, not just cpu load, too.

The numbers mean (from the man page) "the load average of the system over the last 1, 5, and 15 minutes", so that's why there's three of them.

Two other useful utilities for gathering system performance information are sar and iostat. Another command, vmstat, is available on Linux and Solaris (I'm assuming other Unix OS'es as well), but doesn't seem to be there in OS X.

8. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

20:31 up 3 days, 1:25, 1 user, load averages: 0.07 0.10 0.12

So, does that mean I'm not really logged in right now? ;)

9. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I guess I shouldn't trust the book I got that was supposed to teach me Unix under OS X, that was the explanation I got for the two users and such. Every time I've used terminal, it's showed two users, so I figured it made sense.

10. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

I'm not trying to give you crap, just pointing out that some people might see something different. :)

Here's proof:

Attached Files:

11. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I didn't think you were, I'm still pretty new to Unix and learning things as I go along.

12. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

13. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I was up for a while but then Safari 1.2 and Java both came out and both required a restart. With all these updates, it just isn't easy to be up for more than two weeks it seems.

14. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Ugh! As of last night my Windows Server 2003 was up 73 days 2 hours 15 minutes and something seconds. Symantec sent me a new copy of Norton AV corp edition. (Except no substitutes for AV software.) So I went about the upgrade process and Norton had to unload 7.61 to do the upgrade. (You can see where this is going don't you?) And lo and behold I had to reboot to remove the previous install before I could continue. I can somewhat understand because as far as I know Symantec's NAV does some fairly heavy integration into Windows. There must have been some locked system files that NAV couldn't take care of. *sighs* I was really shooting for a 6 month uptime. Oh well. As of this morning its er. Back up to 9 hours 36 minutes. Heh. I should bite the bullet and install any patches I'm missing since I already crapped on my record. :\

Question: Does anyone know the best, claimed, uptime record on Macrumors? Thought I read in a post somewhere that a year plus.

15. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

I had a NetWare 3.12 server in 1996 that stayed up for 3 years. The only reason it went down was a drunk driver hit our utility pole in front of the building and knocked out power. The UPS did its job though and brought it down gracefully.

It had a Pentium 75 with 32MB of RAM, and a couple of 4GB disks.

16. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I remember a thread on here over the summer about uptime records and some guy who was running a Solaris box had well over a year uptime.

17. Dub macrumors newbie

20:43 up 7 days, 47 mins, 2 users, load averages: 0.21 0.11 0.08

I didn't know you could do that. Ahh well you learn something new everyday!

What does 2 users mean? I am the only person who uses this computer and there is only one account, but I did connect to it from a PC on the network to transfer some files. Would this count as the second user?

18. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

That was me, although it was a customer, not me personally. We asked them to restart for some reason and they didn't know how because they had never done it before, after having had the Solaris system for over a year!

19. phrac macrumors member

phrac

everytime you open a new terminal it should count as a new user. For example on my FreeBSD box here (my main machine until i get a new mac) my uptime looks like:

10:32AM up 33 days, 17:49, 4 users, load averages: 0.12, 0.09, 0.06

It shows 4 users, however, I am the only one using it. But, I have 3 xterm windows open, each one taking up login space. The load averages go like this:

The first number is the load for the past 5 minutes, the next number is the load for the past 10 mins, and the last number is the load over the last 15 mins. These numbers are NOT a percentage of the maximum amount of load possible, i.e, you can go over 1.00 for a load average. In fact I have had this machine with load averages around 17.5 and it gets VERY slow to work on.

Just thought I should clear some of those things up.

20. maradong macrumors 65816

maradong

hm. only 12 days at the moment.
    [​IMG]
    thought a pretty high load:
    therefore is here a screen of top:
    [​IMG]

21. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

i was up 20 days, my all-time high. then just a little while ago i shut down to clean it...bringing it on the road tomorrow.