Urban Terror

Discussion in 'Games' started by jeanv, Mar 27, 2004.

1. jeanv macrumors newbie

Mar 27, 2004
    Hi guys,

I bought Quake 3 Arena on eBay last week because I wanted to discover Urban Terror. Could anybody tell me how to install both games on Mac OS X because I don't understand anything and it drives me crazy. Thank you very much.
  2. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Feb 2, 2003
    Meadville, PA
    To install quake pop in the CD and click the instal, you will need to find the updates somewhere on the net. Then to install urban terror, download it at http://urbanterror.net (you will need 4 files, 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3), move the contents from the 3 updates into the 3.0 file (overwrite the old files), move that folder into your quake 3 folder.
  3. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002
    To install any mod for quake, just drop the folder that it comes with in the base Quake 3 directory. The only mod I've found that doesn't work for Mac is Western Quake, which is a shame. Try True Combat, it is by far the best mod out there, it takes a while getting used to not having a sight (you have to use the gun's sights) but then it isn't a problem at all. Have fun!
  4. Maclarny macrumors 6502

Apr 20, 2003
    After installing Quake in classic make sure to get the 1.32 patch for OSX before proceeding with anything else.
  5. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

Dec 7, 2002
    Florida, USA
    Use the Quake3 1.3.2b2 build on VersionTracker for best results.
  6. donglenn macrumors newbie

Mar 25, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    You may have to hurry though, because as we speak they are porting Urban Terror from the Quake 3 engine and over to the ET (Enemy Territory) engine, which most likely will not support Mac..

http://www.fpsclan.com <-- Norways biggest baddest Urban Terror Clan :p
  7. ExoticFish macrumors 6502a

Dec 3, 2002
    The inner depths of madness, aka Kent, OH
    i've tried Urban Terror and while the screenshots look nice and all i just don't like it all that much. maybe i need to try it some more but one main problem is that i can only play single player cause the server browser never shows anything. plus while quake 3 runs like a dream on my 12" PB, Urban Terror runs like a dog.
  8. donglenn macrumors newbie

Mar 25, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    Well, the ingame browser has never worked very well.. You have to use ASE (PC) or Only Mortal (Mac).

The reason for the lack of performance playing UrT is that the mod requires far more of your computer then just Quake 3.. However, you get more too.. Better graphics, sounds etc etc.. It's worth it!