Urge to buy iBook 12"...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Dalius, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Dalius macrumors newbie

Nov 11, 2004
    but I really want to hear all the ups and downsides to it. I've searched through this forum for people's thoughts (it's the new revisions of course) but I still kind of what more opinions...

I'm planning to use it for school, general surfing/chatting and a bit of video editing. Is this right for me?

Thanks in Advanced!
  2. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    the great OKLAHOMA....
    Sounds like it, If you don't need the portablitly, shoot for the iMac G5.... It is MUCH faster, and will give you more bang for your dollar/pound/franc/euro...
  3. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    You do realize the 12-inch iBook doesn't come with a DVD burner, right? Might be a problem for video editing. The other downside is how tiny it is -- too small, for my eyes, but others may have a different opinion. Coincidentally, I've just written a post about my first impressions of the 14-inch iBook. You might want to give it a read (click on the link in my sig).
  4. brogers macrumors regular

Apr 6, 2002
    Greensboro, NC
    Just got one for my wife. She is a teacher and loves it. I put my iSight on it and chated with my Dad via airport from the couch the other night. Worked great. I love the thing. I have the iMac G4 and I find myself making up excuses to borrow the iBook from my wife. Get one!!! You won't be sorry.

5. russed macrumors 68000

Jan 16, 2004
    London, England
    in my opionion the 12" screen is fine for all the stuff you want to do on it (trust me i know as i do all of those things on my 12" pb!)

the general size of it is nice, the weight of it is nice and it is exactly what you are wanting!

if you really need to burn movies to dvd (i have never found the need yet) you coudl always just get an external dvd burner and burn it through a programme like toast or something like that!

get it you know you want it!
  6. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

Love mine...

Got it for portability, but have only taken it out of the house once. It's my household computer, hooked via a screen-spanning hack to my 27" lcd widescreen HDTV at 1280x720, which I access from the couch with my wireless keyboard and mouse. Speed is great for everyday usage. Haven't done much design on it yet...
  7. cctoronto04 macrumors newbie

Nov 12, 2004
    12"iB rocks...

I have had my 12" iBook since March, I love it.

This thing is more than capable as far as computers go, for what your demands will be, and if your demands of the computer get bigger, it can handle it. That has been my experience so far, my machine more than keeps up with my increasing demands on it, no hitches.

Just look at the post above mine, he is comfortably treating his 12" iBook as a desktop without any problem; he is running an external large monitor, wireless key board and mouse)... in addition you cannot beat the price... if you have the time, and the dollars, for an extra $125, special order it with BlueTooth, built in ($50), and the optional 60 GB hard drive ($75), so you that the iBook can more easily grow with your needs to do that kind of stuff...

I'll tell you what, that 12" iBaby, is one of the best values you can pull out of the Apple Store, IMHO...

As far as screen size itself goes I am so happy with the size that when, it comes time to upgrade to a PB, I will probably stay with the 12" size rather than go for the 15" PB that I orihinally thought would be next...

I am very happy with mine, and can thoroughly recommend it...

Just my 2¢ ;)