Urgent - EThernet was gone AWOL!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wowser, May 2, 2005.

1. wowser macrumors 6502a

wowser

Everything was going fine, then I set my eMac to sleep. I came back two hours later to find I couldn't connect to my network. I connect via LAN. I went to the Network panel in Preferences. It showed 'Internal Modem' with a red light. This is fine, as I don't use the modem. However, there was absolutely no option for the built in Ethernet below it. Normally, if my network goes down, I just look in the Network panel and see an amber light besides the Ethernet option, telling me the wrong IP. This time, that option has vanished. I tried automatically setting it up, but it would not work. Evern when my network cable is unplugged I always see the Ethernet option displayed. I can select Ethernet from the drop down list of ways to connect, but all the settings are empty. Please Help!!

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

System Prefs -->
    Network -->
    Show: Network Port Config

Make sure Built-In Ethernet is checked.

3. patseguin macrumors 65816

patseguin

I had a similar problem when I was beta testing Tiger. I changed my computer name (in sharing preferences) to a name without spaces or special characters and it seemed to have solved it. If you use a router, you may need to reset it as well.

4. wowser thread starter macrumors 6502a

wowser

It's checked in 'port config'. But still no dice.

I'll try the name thing, but i'm not holding out hope.

5. wowser thread starter macrumors 6502a

wowser