Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
Hey everyone.

I own a rMBP bought from apple.

I've bootcamped it, so I have windows and OS X on it.

I was previously able to option boot and choose windows. I have since installed parallels. Not sure if that matters. Now when I option boot, it has a lock and asks for a password?

Is that a firmware password? What the heck is up with that? I know I didn't set one. How do I get rid of it?!

Trying to boot into my recovery partition to do a backup of OS X and its not working as I can't get to it...

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
If you didn't do it, someone else did. Clearly it wasn't there before since you previously used to boot into Windows without the lock.

That lock cannot be bypassed by anyone, not even Apple. You're either gonna have to guess the password or find out who did it and ask for it.

If it's within its warranty period, I'd try and get it replaced if you can't find out what that password is.

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
If you didn't do it, someone else did. Clearly it wasn't there before since you previously used to boot into Windows without the lock.

That lock cannot be bypassed by anyone, not even Apple. You're either gonna have to guess the password or find out who did it and ask for it.

If it's within its warranty period, I'd try and get it replaced if you can't find out what that password is.

That's what I thought but I cannot imagine where the heck it would have come from...

Apparently apple can reset it, luckily I have an appointment with them already... But seriously, what the heck?!

EDIT: so seriously:

bootcamp couldn't have done this? the only way would be for someone to be on my computer and do it?

bkribbs

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2012
Oh. Yeah. That's it...

I locked my laptop from icloud to try it out. Thought it didn't work lol... Guess I'll do that again and make sure I actually know the password....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.