URGENT HELP!! Keyboard Issue.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mecon5, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Mecon5, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2014

macrumors newbie

Hi all,

My Macbook Pro's (15" OSX 10.6) keyboard is not working. This occurred after I downloaded two key remapping programs (KeyRemap4Macbook and Double Command). I attempted to uninstall both programs, and I can find no trace of either program anywhere, but the problem persists. I've rebooted multiple times, with no change.

I performed a PRAM reset, and the problem went away for a few seconds, but then returned.

Any help would be appreciated! I'm currently using my sister's computer, but I really need to get my machine working again.

Mike

2. thread starter macrumors newbie

I just realized that there is an icon for KeyRemap4Macbook in the top bar, clicking on it opens a dropdown menu that allows me to check for updates and open preferences.

So there apparently is a trace of this program left, but I can find no files relating to it.

3. macrumors 65816

duervo

I've never used that program, but I would try this to uninstall it:

http://pqrs.org/macosx/keyremap4macbook/document-uninstall.html.en

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, but the problem is that I can't get to that menu, since the program already appears to be uninstalled, there must be some remnant of it left however.

Would reinstalling the program and then uninstalling it possibly work? I'm worried that having a damaged version of the program and a fresh version would cause new issues.

5. macrumors 6502a

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

7. macrumors 6502a

The programs that you installed or any name close to it. See if there are any left over processes. Sometimes apps can install some system level files that could begin running when the system boots.

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah good call. I dont know how I didnt notice before, but there is a KeyRemap process in the activity monitor. I cant quit the process.

9. macrumors 6502a

10. thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes that might be the end of it...but here's the kicker; I cant install the program again because I need to enter my system password to complete the install.

11. macrumors 65816

Try starting up holding down the shift key, starts up without extensions, which may give you the chance to use your keyboard and input your system password. Worth a try I think.

12. macrumors 6502a

Did you kill the process in Activity Monitor first?

13. thread starter macrumors newbie

So I did that, started in "safe boot" mode, and now everything seems to be working correctly. The icon that was on the top bar is gone, the KeyRemap4Macbook process is also gone.

I dont think I should take any further action, because everything is working currently. So thank you very much!

14. macrumors 6502a

15. macrumors 65816

duervo

Yes, I would reinstall, and then follow those instructions to uninstall it.

16. thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so I restarted again, and the problem is back, so I will safe boot again and reinstall and uninstall the program and see if that works

17. macrumors 6502a

Let us know~

18. thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok so here's the final explanation. It turns out that both programs were still technically installed on my machine even though I deleted all the files I could find.

DoubleCommand still had a folder in Library/StartupItems, which was conflicting with KeyRemap4Macbook, and causing the keyboard to malfunction. In safe mode I was able to delete this startup item, then reinstall KeyRemap4Macbook, and uninstall it.

So now both programs are completely uninstalled and my machine is running in normal boot and the keyboard works.

So I sincerely thank all of you for your help, you guys are life savers! :)
    If a mod wants edit the title of this thread with a resolved tag, go for it

19. macrumors 6502a

Alright! I'm glad things worked out.

20. macrumors 65816

You can do that yourself, edit your original post, click on Advanced, add the obligatory "Resolved". Fini :cool: