Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wainwain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
Hi all, Im new to this forum, but i REALLY need some help with my imac. Its a iMac600 SE. The graphite coloured one. It all started with random sleep modes, the imac would just go into 'deep sleep mode' where nothing works. Ok i could live with that, but now it just wont turn on, and all im getting is a faint chirping noise. Nothing appears on screen either. when i hold down the power button for a few seconds it turns off again with a flash of the power button. Has anyone else experienced this problem? its only 3 years old. and i have no guarantee on it. Im hoping maybe its just the battery that needs changing at the back. All help would be greatly welcomed....

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
I'm not sure I even know what to tell you :(

Is there any chance it got fried? (that is, is it on a surge protector?) Do all the fans inside still function properly? To me it sounds like the boards are damaged somehow, but outside of an electrical surge i dont know how that would happen.

wainwain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
No, i doubt its an electrical surge. after the brief chirp their is a high pitched buzz, also very very faint. Ive tried different plugs and dissconnecting everything. Nothing seems to work, nothing looks damaged and it still produces heat when left on. But the fan doesnt kick in. It feels like its missing a spark to start it all off. :( i think i might try replacing the 3.6v battery in the back to see if it makes a difference but they are hard to find! and if not then its a trip down the repair shop...

bhertz

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2004
Columbus, Ohio
What you have (most likely) is a bad flyback transformer. This issue is well
known with old imacs. I have had two die in the lab I support in the last two months just like this. The imacs did not cool this transformer well enough and it shorts out internally. It is pretty expensive to fix most likely it is not worth it. The chirp is the computer sensing the short then shutting its self down. On the back of the imac there is a panel that you can remove to get to a external vga connection. Plug in an extra monitor and see if it works.

Do a google search for 'imac ATX' to see how a lot of people have been salvaging the machines sans the monitor.

wainwain

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2004
HEy,
great advice guys, yeah i've tried plugging in a monitor already, with no luck, so is it still the flyback transformer? what did you do with the old imacs? did you fix them? did yours chirp aswell? or could it be the logic board??? :confused: im so confused, and need it fixed soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.