Urgent Help Needed! (Word 2004 & Tiger)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by James Philp, May 12, 2005.

1. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

I am working on my masters, and this turned up!
    I have over 6 Gigs or available space! I also connected to a networked drive with 10 or so free and the same thing came up!
    I have printed>saved as PDF, but what the hell is going on - grr Microsoft!
    I get this error every few mins now as it tries to autosave! What do I do, I really don't want to loose my stuff!

Attached Files:

2. James Philp thread starter macrumors 65816

James Philp

Update..

Maybe not urgent then.. I have now duplicated the file in the finder and opened it in word and it seems identical to the "unsavable" version - so nothing lost (Phew!)
    Weirdest thing though.. The copy of the file saves fine! While this trouble version is still open and saying it can't be saved on the EXACT SAME volume!
    WTF is going on? They are in the same folder even!
    Crappy MS! :mad:

3. hodgjy macrumors 6502

I sometimes get random crap like that in Word and PowerPoint. A simple repair permissions usually takes care of it.

4. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I was having some issues with Word and Tiger locking up while "Connecting to Printer". Duplicate working data was saved fortunately. I like Office 2004 for Mac, but Word has been a bit unstable at times.

5. nfocus design macrumors regular

nfocus design

connecting to printer snag

I haven't experienced it personally, but my when my friend opens a Word file, she gets the connecting to printer message. She isn't even trying to print. It locks up and she has to force quit Word. Anyone know what might be causing this problem? She is using Tiger on a 15" PowerBook G4.

6. hodgjy macrumors 6502

I get the same message when I'm closing Word in Tiger. I'm sure it's nothing but another bug that MS won't squash.

7. nfocus design macrumors regular

nfocus design

It wouldn't be so bad if it was just when closing, but is doesn it when she opens it. She opens a file to edit it and can't. She can view it, but that's about it.

8. brap macrumors 68000

Word does that. There have been quite a few reports of it happening in various Word-related threads, rarely, but usually at the most inopportune time. I've had it happen once or twice.

Hey, in a Microsoft product -- one well-known, and ultimately not so fatal bug is a result!

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Isn't this something to do with an autosave bug? Or was that in Word X? I think they released a patch for it - something about it adding to the temporary file each time rather than replacing it?

Try turning autosave off and see if it improves?

10. Makosuke macrumors 603

I know there was a severe bug that existed in every version of Word from 5 through X (yes, that long) that, if you saved a file too many times before quitting and restarting Word, would give you this error and sometimes also corrupt the file. It was due to a "maximum open files" limit in the OS, but I thought it had been fixed in the 2004 version. Do you have all the patches installed?