Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lee.anderson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
UK
Hi,
Christmas i got a mac mini and i'm really happy, but, my router doesn't work with it!
It's a BT Voyager 205, and im using the USB to connect it. I had a feeling this would happen, because when my dad got his iMac it never recognised it. It must be because its intel. It worked on my Powerbook G4 running Tiger 10.4.8, but is there any drivers to download to get it working. Right now i've installed Windows XP just to use the internet, and was wondering is there anyway to get the drivers off my powerbook to my mac mini?

My computer doesn't even recognise its plugged in, but it works on the Windows side, so theres no problem with the USB ports.
Is there anything i can do?
Thanks and Merry Christmas:)

lee.anderson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
UK
Any one? Please, if you have any thoughts on how to solve the problem, please post?:)

lee.anderson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
UK
I can only use the USB part of the modem because my dad uses the ethernet, his computer didn't work with the USB either

product26

Cancelled
May 30, 2005
I can only use the USB part of the modem because my dad uses the ethernet, his computer didn't work with the USB either

get a cheap 4 port ethernet HUB (not a switch or switching hub). If you use a switch you may have some service issues (i did when i had a switch hooked up, using a plain old hub worked fine) and besides, for internet speeds and overall affordability, a plain old hub is the way to go.

lee.anderson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
UK
Thanks for all your replies,
I was wondering until i get an ethernet hub, is there any way to use Parallels to share the connection with the mac side. I'm typing this right now in parallels, so is there any way to share the connection? I really want the internet on the mac side so i can do system updates etc.

lee.anderson

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2006
UK
Like i said in my previous post, is there any way to share the internet connection from parallels to os x?

In parallels it says its a bridged ethernet connection, and in system prefs on os x it says its parallels host-guest.
It says it in OS X on the network location but i cannot make it work on the OS X side. It's like the mac side doesnt pick it up, it also says in parallels that its a communication 1690:0901, but the mac side doesnt pick it up.

In OS X when i insert the cd that came with the modem, it says its install the software, but theres no trace of it on my system.
Can you please help?:)

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
newbie - welcome to MR.

Nag posts are very annoying. If someone has an answer to give you they will. Continually posting "won't SOMEbody help me?" doesn't improve things.

BTW this is the 3,003 rd thread entitled "* Help *" , next time you may get more and better response by using a title that is relevant to your question.

Also, what did your ISP say when you asked them? You did ask them, didn't you?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I don't know how to share the connection from parallels back to the host OS. Probably the best place to ask that is at the forums at Parallels. ;)

You really need to just buy a router. One, they cost about $10. They're simple to set up, and you're not living in the 1950s anymore. Two, even if the Mac supported the USB connection, most of these routers do not support two independent connections at the same time via the ethernet and USB ports anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.