Urgent Help Required!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lew15, Jun 9, 2006.

1. lew15 macrumors newbie

right ok, iv got a mac mini intel. superdrive WONT eject a cd thats in there. tried holdin mouse key down whilst rebooting, doesnt work. iTunes trick doesnt either. Doesn't let me boot into firmware. and Toast doesn't even think there is a drive there anymore. I don't have OS 9 so can't boot into that. PLEASE HELP!

Thanks, Lewis

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Open up Disk Utility and verify the disk. This is different to verifying the disk permissions. Does it come up with anything? :)

3. lew15 thread starter macrumors newbie

doesnt come up with anything. just the hard drive

4. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

try opening Terminal (in Utilities) and typing:
    drutil tray eject

5. lew15 thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry, already tried that one too. doesnt work. just had another go. still not working.

6. lew15 thread starter macrumors newbie

i dont think it can see the drive. is there a way of reinstalling the drivers for the superdrive? (wihout using a cd)

7. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

you could try Patchburn.
    Does the drive show up in Apple > About This Mac > More Info.. > Hardware > ATA ? (or is it SATA for Intel Minis?)

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sorry, that's what we want. Verify the hard drive. :)

9. lew15 thread starter macrumors newbie

just verified it. Says there is an error and it needs to be repaired but the repair button is greyed out and i can't reboot using the restore DVD that came with the mac mini obviously

10. elisha cuthbert macrumors 6502a

elisha cuthbert

this has worked for me when cds dont mount on my ibook, hold the eject key and while you doing that hold it so that the slot is pointing directly at the ground and if that doesnt work power down and give it a few precise thumps and maybe even a jiggle and see if that works (its worked on my ibook, 3 powerbooks and one imac)

11. lew15 thread starter macrumors newbie

12. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

If you have an external firewire drive with OS X on it (or a friend who has a Mac), you could use target disk mode to boot the mini and repair the disk and hopefully get the CD out.

If not, I am wondering if the CD drive is not properly connected, like it was loose and then got bumped.

13. lew15 thread starter macrumors newbie

iv been on macs all my life (since the quadras, performas etc) and the latter sounds more like it. It just doesn't see the bloomin drive! Does anyone know whether it is a good idea to try and link it back up myself or get a pro in? I have experience of working inside the more spacious macs (towers) but i know that the mini is tiny and not sure whether its best to get someone else in?

14. MacBoyX macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

If it's an intel Mac mini, then it's new and still under the warranty. Why don't you take it to an Apple Store or an Apple Repair Center and let them have a go?

FWIW...there is no Open Firmware on Intel based Macs, they use EFI, and even if you had OS 9, you couldn't run it on an Intel Mac.

Good Luck.

15. lew15 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for that. i will do just that! that probably explains why it didnt do the old command option o f trick!

16. MacBoyX macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

good plan mate. let us know how it turns out.

17. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It wants you to fsck it. :)

Yes, you read that right.