Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lew15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
right ok, iv got a mac mini intel. superdrive WONT eject a cd thats in there. tried holdin mouse key down whilst rebooting, doesnt work. iTunes trick doesnt either. Doesn't let me boot into firmware. and Toast doesn't even think there is a drive there anymore. I don't have OS 9 so can't boot into that. PLEASE HELP!

Thanks, Lewis

lew15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
sorry, already tried that one too. doesnt work. just had another go. still not working.

lew15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
i dont think it can see the drive. is there a way of reinstalling the drivers for the superdrive? (wihout using a cd)

lew15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
just verified it. Says there is an error and it needs to be repaired but the repair button is greyed out and i can't reboot using the restore DVD that came with the mac mini obviously

elisha cuthbert

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2006
Melbourne
lew15 said:
just verified it. Says there is an error and it needs to be repaired but the repair button is greyed out and i can't reboot using the restore DVD that came with the mac mini obviously
this has worked for me when cds dont mount on my ibook, hold the eject key and while you doing that hold it so that the slot is pointing directly at the ground and if that doesnt work power down and give it a few precise thumps and maybe even a jiggle and see if that works (its worked on my ibook, 3 powerbooks and one imac)

yippy

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2004
Chicago, IL
If you have an external firewire drive with OS X on it (or a friend who has a Mac), you could use target disk mode to boot the mini and repair the disk and hopefully get the CD out.

If not, I am wondering if the CD drive is not properly connected, like it was loose and then got bumped.

lew15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
iv been on macs all my life (since the quadras, performas etc) and the latter sounds more like it. It just doesn't see the bloomin drive! Does anyone know whether it is a good idea to try and link it back up myself or get a pro in? I have experience of working inside the more spacious macs (towers) but i know that the mini is tiny and not sure whether its best to get someone else in?

MacBoyX

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2003
East Coast, USA
lew15 said:
iv been on macs all my life (since the quadras, performas etc) and the latter sounds more like it. It just doesn't see the bloomin drive! Does anyone know whether it is a good idea to try and link it back up myself or get a pro in? I have experience of working inside the more spacious macs (towers) but i know that the mini is tiny and not sure whether its best to get someone else in?

If it's an intel Mac mini, then it's new and still under the warranty. Why don't you take it to an Apple Store or an Apple Repair Center and let them have a go?

FWIW...there is no Open Firmware on Intel based Macs, they use EFI, and even if you had OS 9, you couldn't run it on an Intel Mac.

Good Luck.

lew15

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 9, 2006
thanks for that. i will do just that! that probably explains why it didnt do the old command option o f trick!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
lew15 said:

It wants you to fsck it. :)

Yes, you read that right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.