Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr. No

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2003
I have begun upgrading a friend's computer. It is a Blue and White G3, with a 500 MHz G4 upgrade. I installed Panther on it, and it worked just fine. I then upgraded to 10.3.5 (combo), and it rebooted just fine. I then installed QuickTime 6.5.1, and rebooted again. The screen went into 800x600, and showed the Apple logo. A few seconds later, the screen went into UNIX, and displayed a message that said "Darwin kernel 7.5.0" and the date. The system was frozen, and the screen was half-scrambled. Holding down the shift key did not work.

I rebooted with an OS 9 CD, and it booted just fine. Something interesting happened next: the resolution stayed at its native 1280x960 when it showed the Apple logo while booting OS X. It seems that the machine will only boot when the resolution during startup is 1280x960 :confused: :confused: :confused:

When the bootup resolutuion was 800x600, only OS 9 would work-- not even the OS X INSTALLER CD!!! It gave me the same error, only with "Darwin Kernel 7.2.0"

The Specs are as folllows

Blue and White G3
Sonnet G4/500 ZIF Upgrade
Maxtor 40GB HDD 7200 RPM
Apple Studio Display 21" (the blue one)
OS 9.2.2
Otherwise factory config

Disk First Aid found nothing...

Any ideas?????

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2004
Is the upgrade card compadible with Panther. I don't really know much about this topic. According to apple the system requirements are...

"Requirements:
Macintosh computer with PowerPC G3, G4, or G5 processor; built-in USB; and 128MB of physical RAM.

1) Video conferencing requires a 600MHz or faster PowerPC G3, a PowerPC G4, or a PowerPC G5 processor; broadband Internet access (100 Kbps or faster); and a compatible FireWire DV camera or web camera.
2) Internet access requires a compatible service provider; iDisk requires a .Mac account; fees may apply.
3) Processor upgrade cards are not supported. "

Dr. No

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2003
I should probably know this, but what firmware upgrades are for the Blue and White?? And HOW DO I KNOW WHICH ONE I HAVE?

Also, I thinkl the Sonnet upgrade installed a special firmware, could that have anything to do with it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.