Urgent Help.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Caris, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Caris macrumors 6502a

Sep 25, 2006
    Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK

I just got a Mac Mini yesterday a Core due one, and i need some help from users with some experiance, ive been using this since yesterday and everythings been fine but ive just went ot sign on MSN and it came up with the stuff that you have to go through when you 1st install it, i restarted my Mac and then i come to see my wallpapaer has changed, my My stuff folder has gone, and all my programs are like ive never used them before, also my mouse buttons have went back to default.

i got this message to when i tryed to open Limewire.

Any help would be VERY greatful.

Thanks, Matthew.
  2. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Jan 13, 2005
    Between cats, dogs and wanderlust.
    Too bad about the whole p2p folder getting trashed. Downright shame.

I'm going to try to narrow down the problem for anyone else, or myself, by asking a few generalized questions:

Are you the only user logging into this machine -- i.e. is the account in question a shared account or your own personal one?

How many times have you logged in to this machine before noticing this problem?

Have you looked in the Users folder to see if, perhaps, there is now another folder with your username -- possibly xxxx1 or xxxx.old or xxxx.new, where xxxx is your username.

Related to the previous question: did you try doing a repair of permissions (I know, I know...) -- as this could very well be a permission related issue? You'll know right away if something's askew if, when you open the Users folder, you notice a big red stop sign type logo on your username's folder.

Is this a machine you purchased from the Apple Store or second-hand? Reason being that there could be some sort of protection in place to restore the HDD after reboot. (i.e. MacShield by Centurion Tech) -- This is highly implausible, but if you bought from, say, a business auction it may employ this method.

There are any number of questions to be asked but these are some basic ones.
  3. Caris thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sep 25, 2006
    Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK
    It was brand new, Theres only 1 account on this mac and thats me and i did run permission repairs.

Add me on MSN if you want (please!)

As it will make trying to sort this problem out alot easyer.