URGENT How to make iTunes account without Credit Card

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MattyMac, Dec 29, 2006.

1. macrumors 68000

MattyMac

My gf's cousin is making an iTunes account and she is too young for a credit card. When making her account, it is asking for a CC. How do I get around this so she can use gift cards and such. Please let me know ASAP.

Thanks!

2. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

3. thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

4. macrumors regular

Bahaha, off topic but from that page:

That first sentence sounds like you aren't rewarding them anymore, I know what they mean but they possibly could have reworded it....

I would feel just as ripped off with that as a gift card. If you can't trust your kid with cash to buy whatever they want then do they really deserve the "allowence"/gift card ???

5. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Hmmm...I don't think it's possible to do that.

6. macrumors regular

Yeah, actually in response to the topic.
    From what I just read you can only sign up with a gift card/certificate or a credit card. So I would probably suggest you go to a 7-11 and buy a small gift card or something so you can sign up.

7. macrumors 6502a

apple probably wants people who want artwork to be actual people who buy from itunes instead of downloading from places like limewire or allofmp3 so thats why they dont allow it.

8. thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

Thanks for all your responses and attempts to help. I figured that she would need a gift card, but was just wondering if anyone knew a way around it.

Anyhow, I'm happy because she is the second person I have switched to a mac:D My mom being the first!

9. macrumors newbie

i rarely write responses, but I came across this same problem, and am really pissed off. There is absolutely no reasone that apple should need my credit card information. i just got a new macbook, and i love it. and i wanted to dl some album art. i used to do it easily enough in my windows. and then i found out i need to do sign up with itunes, which requires CC info. thats ******** if you ask me, and i do not really think you can defend it.

10. thread starter macrumors 68000

MattyMac

It does seem quite ridiculous. Go out and buy an iTunes gift card and register that way. That is what I told my cousin to do.

11. macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Just gift her a single song and when she redeems it, she'll be able to register.

12. macrumors regular

GreeneGirl7

I think it seems reasonable. Actually, it seems really cool to me that just by having an account you can get the artwork for free for albums you haven't even purchased from iTMS.

There are some free alternatives. Check out www.versiontracker.com. I can't make any personal recommendations though.

Also, if you don't have that many songs missing artwork, it's easy to add it yourself. Use google image to search for the artwork, select the album in iTunes, and then drag the image to the artwork window. You don't even have to save the image to your hard drive first. Sorry if you already knew all that though.

13. macrumors newbie

i have a credit card. and i have no problem with buying things on line. i DO have a problem with a company forcing me to provide my credit card information when i have no intention to buy any music. i do not have an ipod, i do not plan on buying music from the itunes store. i would just like to have nice little album covers. and by the way, thanks for your guys quick responses! amazingly fast. i apologize if i am rude, its just that it really bothers me.

14. macrumors newbie

hey i just read greenegirls response. this is my first experience with itunes, so i did not know any of that. THAnks a lot!!! its a huge help. i think i will jut do what you said and download one by one. and dont beat me down for saying this, but with windows media player it allowed me to download all the artwork and stuff without providing any information.
    cheers and thanks again!

15. macrumors regular

GreeneGirl7

No problem. I find iTunes, especially when using it on a Mac, really great as I learn more about it. A newbie mistake I made in the beginning was fiddling around with the music folders inside the iTunes folder instead of only in the iTunes app itself. Once you get used to the differences though I bet you'll really like it.

16. macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    There's also an Album Art widget which sits on your Dashboard and displays art from your iTunes song that is playing. If you don't have it, it goes off and searches for it. And, if it finds it, you can add it to your iTunes library with a single click on the mouse. V handy.

17. macrumors newbie

18. TEG
    macrumors 604

TEG

You can create an iTS account if you have a PayPal account.

TEG

19. macrumors 6502

Ooooh nice widget! Thanks!

20. macrumors demi-god

I always wondered why Apple does that.

The best I could come up with is by requiring a credit card account, they can vouch for the "realness" of their users, which is probably important when it comes to the rates they charge the companies that advertise in the iTunes Stores.

21. macrumors 603

solvs

22. macrumors 68000

tominated

get corripio. it's a pretty good app for finding album art. plus, it's free

23. Retired

psychofreak

Advertisements? Screenshot please?

24. macrumors demi-god

Attached.

Attached Files:

25. macrumors 65816

jholzner

I'm pretty sure I read that Apple doesn't take money for advert placement. They promote what they want and that's that. I know it's erked some big labels but that's how Apple wanted to do it.

http://www.futureofmusic.org/itunes2.cfm

From the Article:

No Paid Placement
    One of the most talked about pieces of Apple's presentation was their stance on "paid placement". Apple insisted that "it's all about the music" and that they're not interested in accepting advertising, banners, or any types of payment for placement on the website. But if you look at the home page you'll see that there are both banners and these areas called "swooshes" that highlight 16 albums per swoosh (new releases, up and coming, just added, etc). Apple said that any highlighting of albums or artists -- whether for banners or swooshes -- is purely at the discretion of Apple's music editorial staff.

Once again, Apple has a unique position in this. As a technology company with lots of assets they don't NEED to accept advertising money to make this work, and they've never done anything like this in the past (like selling space for icons on their computer desktops). We hope that Apple will remain committed to this pledge. Not only is it refreshing to see a list of songs that doesn't belie the "superstarness" of any one track over another, or a list cluttered with smiley faces or stars or other attention-getting icons, but it also stops the iTunes virtual space from being sold to the highest bidder.