Urgent iWeb Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by billchase2, Jul 10, 2006.

1. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

okay, i've been working on this for 4 hours straight now and i can't take it anymore. i sure hope someone can figure this out for me... i'm running out of steam.

i made a portfolio website in iweb at work today. when i got home, i went to upload it and realized that a few (7 to be exact) of the photos i used had spaces in their filenames, which is obviously a problem when putting them online. since then, i have been trying to simply replace the photos with the same photo but with no spaces in the filename so it'll work.

problem.

since iweb is SO CONNECTED with iphoto... it won't let me replace any of the photos with a photo w/o the space in the filename!! i have tried EVERYTHING (well, hopefully not everything... hopefully someone has an idea for me) and can't get it to work! i know i could probably go through and delete my entire iphoto library (which is actually only the files for my portfolio projects) and start it over... but the thing is, i have quite a bit of time making a DVD portfolio in iDVD and if i delete all the files in iphoto... well, then i'll mess that up too!

does anyone have ANY ideas for me?? i hope i explained it well enough. it was kind of hard to explain...

edit: and btw, before i even started any of this, i told iphoto to NOT copy the images to it's library... but it's been doing it anyway!! if it wouldnt have been doing this, i probably wouldnt have this problem right now... stupid software.

2. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Did you try uploading it w/ the spaces? Most servers (and browsers) convert a 'space' char to '%20'.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Just to be sure: have you tried uploading the site? iWeb might fix the spaces issue for you; it might be worth a try before you work on this any more (i.e., there might not be any problem).

Edit: too slow.

4. billchase2 thread starter macrumors 68000

billchase2

i've tried. it won't allow me to upload it. i'm uploading to my school's server because it's the only webspace i currently have... now if anyone knows of a free webserver that will allow spaces, i'd be all set!

i even went through and put %20 in place of the spaces, but then the coding didn't work. i know some html, but i couldnt figure out all the other stuff iweb uses.

5. jon-chan macrumors newbie

I'm no iWeb expert, but I don't believe that spaces in a photo filename will make any difference at all. The web browsers should convert the name to use %20 instead of a space. For example "photo 1.jpg" becomes "photo%201.jpg".

If you haven't tried to actually upload & test the site with the file names that have spaces in them, please do. You may save yourself additional frustration.

PS: My church youthgroup's website uses iWeb and some .html and .jpg files have spaces in them, and they run just fine. All spaces are converted to %20.

EDIT: hmm... not quick enough :)

6. billchase2 thread starter macrumors 68000

billchase2

it won't allow me to upload it. when i try, i get an error message back from my school's stupid server. :-(

7. jon-chan macrumors newbie

what is the error message? just wondering.

8. billchase2 thread starter macrumors 68000

billchase2

COMMAND:> STOR C Printout_1.jpg
    550 C Printout_1.jpg: Permission denied on server. (Filename (accept))
    ERROR:> Requested action not taken (e.g., file or directory not found, no access).

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Why don't you zip the whole site up, upload it, and unzip it there? Can you do that?

10. billchase2 thread starter macrumors 68000

billchase2

wow, okay... so i finally got the dang thing to work by switching to another server at my school i'd forgotten about.

yeah..... there's an entire night wasted on a problem that could have been fixed easily. don't you hate it when that happens?? :eek:

now, i believe it's time to go take a shot of absolut... perhaps that'll get rid of this headache i've developed.

thanks to all the responses though. it's appreciated.

11. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

hoping you're a graduate student!:eek: ;)

12. billchase2 thread starter macrumors 68000

billchase2

13. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

good to know:cool: