Urgent - 'Live video' software for OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by SMM, Jan 30, 2007.

1. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I have to set-up a video conference with our Hawaii Division tomorrow. I had a Dell all configured, but someone grabbed it. Now I want to use a MBP. I need SW which will allow me to use my Panasonic AG-DC30 as a web-cam with Skype. Most cheap web-cams have SW for displaying the video on the screen, and which Skype can use. That is what I am looking for.

I am really under the gun with this one, otherwise I would not normally bother people for something I can research myself.

Thanks.

2. Blubbert macrumors 6502

3. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

This is a major semi-annual corporate meeting. I will have the camera a long way from the speaker/presentation. Web-cams do not have adequate depth of field.

4. xappeal macrumors regular

I'm guessing you need a driver right? Try here:

http://www.ioxperts.com/products/webcamx.html

Other than that, if you really need to use windows..... for the sake of using that camera. Install bootcamp and windows, it will take an hour or so but you'll be set for the day.

5. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

Thanks folks. I was able to trackdown what I needed. FYI, ioexperts does not have drivers to support DV cams. However, they had a link to a DV viewer app (BTV Pro), which worked great. So, I downloaded Skype and life is wonderful.

I do appreciate everyone's help!

Steve

6. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

Um... forget the whole webcam thing and work on getting transfered to the Hawaii division.

7. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

Just a follow-up, in case anyone else tries this, with limited experience like me.

On its' own Skype will not find a DV camera, attached to the computer, even when it was open and being displayed in the DV Viewer. It looks for webcams, which have a different protocol than DV. To make it work, I found a iChat shareware utility which converts DV to webcam. It provides a driver that iChat can use, and thankfully Skype too. As soon as it was installed, my AG-DVX100B appeared as a selectable webcam option.