urgent mac folder on startup after powercut

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by onemacmini, Nov 4, 2006.

1. onemacmini macrumors 6502

My mac mini wont do anything when this folder icon come up on start up. It starts up with a mac logo in a folder in the center of the screen and wont let me do anything... even when i hold down c until it appears nothing happens ... please please help

2. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

If I'm understanding things correctly then this might be a good time to dig out your install disks and try using the Disk Utility to verify/repair your disk. Your install disk will need to be inserted when you boot and then you can follow these instructions from Apple's Support site:

1. Insert the Mac OS X Install disc that came with your computer, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)
    Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.

3. Click the First Aid tab.

4. Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

5. Select your Mac OS X volume.

6. Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

3. onemacmini thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Try the Option key. Make sure you hold at at the chime, not when the folder appears.

5. onemacmini thread starter macrumors 6502

i turned the computer off.. i held down the opt. key and then turned it on... it just proceeded to the flashing icon.. and now i cant get the cd out? please please help

6. onemacmini thread starter macrumors 6502

finally got it workin and made a complete backup. all i had to do was wait a while and run the system checks with a wired keyborad