URGENT - Macbook pro won't boot from OSX CD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by bobbydudeman, Aug 10, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Aug 10, 2011
    i have a late 2008 unibody aluminum macbook. around february my HD got jammed for some reason, and my computer stopped working :(. in april i bought a new HD in taiwan, and when i got back home, tried installing OSX 10.6 onto it from a macbook pro CD. it got to the installer, but told me that the OS could not be installed, so i completely forgot about it. but last night i came across my original CD which came with the macbook, and tried booting from it by pressing C on startup, but it sent me to a grey screen with a flashing folder icon with a question mark, and i can't get the CD out of the drive. how do i get it to boot from the CD? my warranty expired in january, and i don't want to pay ripoff prices for someone to show me how to press a button...

any suggestions?

2. macrumors regular

Jan 5, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    first off you should put the new hard drive in an enclosure and if you have another mac you need to format to a mac journaled (HFS) setup so it can read the disk, then you should be able to install the OS from the cd on to the macbook by holding down the c button on startup.
  3. macrumors 68000

Sep 10, 2008
    Asheville, NC
    Simply formatting the drive is not going to fix your problem.

Hold down the option key. It'll show a list of volumes it thinks it can boot from. It'll likely just have your DVD. Boot from it.