URGENT: new iMac headache

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ohalexis, May 23, 2006.

1. ohalexis macrumors newbie

My new Intel iMac is making me headache!!
    I'm a recent switcher, but it has already froze dozen times, all I did was installing the Microsoft office 2004 and adobe photoshop CS2, and some updates. Today I wad trying to print something, then it froze again, and I've tried the command+option+escape combination to force quit, but had no response,I will have to hold down the power button to shut it down. Now it freezes on the startup!!

Are there any other way to restart an iMac?
    How can I cleanly boot the OS(rebuild desktop,or return to default without destroying all my important files)?

Thanks a bunch for the help

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Have you tried the usual items:

Repair Permissions: Finder>Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility>Select Drive>Repair Permissions.

Reset the PRAM: Shut down computer>Restart and hold down CNMD-OPT-P-R during startup until second POST chime is heard, then release.

Run CRON scripts: Finder>Applications>Utilities>Terminal>Open Terminal>Type in "sudo periodic daily weekly monthly" (sans quotes) and quit when finished.

Reset the Firmware: Shut down the computer, and on restart, hold down CMD-OPT-O-F and type in "reset-NVRAM" and then "reset-all" (sans quotes) when prompt line appears.

Make sure you back up.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Add to that, did you install third party RAM yourself? If it's bad RAM, that could also explain this behavior....

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Also, at what stage of the boot up sequence does it freeze? Maybe try booting into Safe Mode. :)

5. ohalexis thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot!!! that solved the problem.
    :D

6. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Shaaazzzammm! My head is spinning after reading iGary's post. I don't quite understand what he is saying, but it sure sounds impressive. :)

7. mpw Guest

Yup, that's what he relies on to pull!;)

8. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

iGary's big words also resolves kernel panics, bad RAM and bad reception on your Air Port.