Urgent, Please HELP!!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Vulpine, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Vulpine macrumors newbie

Hi Forum,

I've restarted my mac and held command and s and gone and restored my netinfo settings which I think went OK.

I then rebooted as instructed and was presented with my log in screen - username and password. The mac won't log me in though when I enter them.

Please, please can someone tell me what I need to do - stress levels are at an all time high at the moment and I would really be greatful to anyone who can help out.

MANY MANY THANKS.

2. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Can you boot from the boot CD? Maybe this will give you full access so you can reset your password.

3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Exactly what did you do in single user mode?

4. Vulpine thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi and thank you for the reply,

I've not tried, I was worried about losing my setting if I tried this after doing the restore of netinfo.

I'll give it try and report back.

Thanks again.

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Make certain that Caps Lock is not on, it can make you look and feel like a right plonker.

6. Vulpine thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi King,

I restored netinfo from a back-up ...

If you require specific details please state and I'll do my best to provide you with the info required.

Thanks.

Hi p-freak,

:) no, caps is not on.

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

well since NetInfo plays a role with user accounts/groups, it may help to provide all the information you can since this most likely is the root cause of your issue...

What problem were you having that caused you to go into single user mode to restore the netinfo db? Was the backup made correctly using the nidump command or were you trying to restore from /var/db/netinfo/local.nidb

ALL the information you can provide will help.

8. Vulpine thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi King,

Right, first off I followed the exact instructions in this apple link:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107210

All went OK and no error messages were shown.

I think about 4 threads below this one are two threads I posted earlier (under the name Vulpine) - this will give you an insight as to why I entered single user mode to restore the netinfo back-up.

Someone suggested this was the best way for me to get back to my original settings as I did try to re-install and this did not change or restore anything.

Anything else I'm going to be checking this post every few minutes as i won't sleep until this is resolved.

Thanks for everything

9. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Don't know what to tell you. Most likely the netinfo backup you restored was a bit older than you wanted. Try other passwords you may have used.

Keep in mind, application preferences, as you described in your other thread, aren't stored in netinfo, so whoever suggested that fix to you may have been a little off.

10. Vulpine thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks King,

problem is i've had the same profile from day one.

Is there a default password I could use to access my profile as I can log in at all.

If you can't think of anything thanks for trying.

BR

V

11. Vulpine thread starter macrumors newbie

Username and Password Problem

Good evening all,

I have had the same profile since day one and today my Mac crashed so i re-installed from the CD along with a re-install of the netinfo bit now when I boot I cannot log on, it will not accept either my username or password.

Is there away around this or do I need to do a complete re-install?

I know I posted a similar question below, I just wanted to post a fresh topic related post.

Many thanks,

V

12. Vulpine thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for this, the thing is I've not forgot the password or username, it just won't accept it - strange.

I have tried what you suggested but I'm not given an option to change the password, I've check everywhere and all options.

V

13. Vulpine thread starter macrumors newbie

Just a quick note to thank all the above for there input - I'm now back and very happy. :)

Thank you all.

14. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

What was the fix?