Urgent question on Student Discount!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Joeytpg, Jul 1, 2004.

1. Joeytpg macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

Hi, Guys, look....i need an urgent reply on this, PLEASE!, since i'm living to Florida (Kendall) tomorrow (Friday) night.

I'll be finally able to buy my pbook, i didn't want to order it through the online apple store because i'd have to pay for tax. and not only that i'd have to pay more money to my UPS currier to deliver it to me Here in Dominican Republic (since it's not in U.S. Land)

Anyways, i know that since i'm not a U.S. Student (nor am i attending to a U.S. university) i don't approve for the Student Discount.... but i really could use the $200 off the final price.......so here's my question:

I have a friend down there (Kendall) and i could call him and ask him to buy it for me (he IS attending to a U.S. College) so he could definitely get the discount, BUT, i'm not sure if he has to sign some documents for Apple, meaning that HIS name would appear as the Owner of the computer and NOT MY NAME, how can i do that?.....how can i get him to buy it (so i can use the $200 S.D. off) but at the same time MY NAME appears on those apple documents? i also want to purchase .MAC so i'm in the same boat with the NAME and personal Info. stuff.

ideas?....suggestion?.......has anyone tryed this before??.... i need those $200 off! :(

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You could get your friend to buy it for you. But... I don't think he'll be able to buy another Mac this year (might not matter to him).

My advice? Save the $200 by getting an iBook instead of a PB. Everything will be in your name, it'll all be legal and proper, and you'll get a very nice setup.

Technically, though, if your friend goes along with it and you don't care that his name is on everything, you could go through with it.

3. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Well, the only thing I can say is: tough.

The US student discount is meant for US students and US students ONLY!!!

Sheesh, you people love and pray for Apple, love their software and their innovative design; but the SECOND you are give a chance to rip off Apple you do it.

What your doing is nothing more than steeling IMHO.

If you can't afford it, go buy a DuLL.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

So stealing's wrong, musicpyrite? So, of course, song theft is wrong, right? ;)

No offense. Just amused.

5. Xenious macrumors 6502a

Not condoning this, but I seriously doubt apple puts some sort of tracking name with .mac registration and system owner registration with whomever buys the hardware. Otherwise parents who buy items from the non-educational mac store for their kids would end up registered to them. Or people that buy a mac or other hardware as a gift for someone else.

If you friend wants to buy you a Mac and use up his annual educational discount there's nothing stoping you and as far as I can see there will be no adverse effects to the computer ownership.

I could be wrong, but thats my observations.
    -jim

6. abhishekit macrumors 65816

abhishekit

Well I guess you can transfer the ownership to your name by calling Apple that you bought the pb from your friend. But for .Mac, I reckon it wont be possible to change.

7. radhak macrumors regular

Get off his case, people.:mad: at least he is wanting to pay, not download ('steal')...

Joey, you might want to check out older threads :

and

and

gist is that, essentially, you might not have anything to worry about. you could buy online, put his school name, and get it 'in his name'. or he could 'buy' it and then 'sell' it you because he love you so much ;)

Applecare or .Mac will not bother. you could always buy applecare separately, later. nobody links it to 'who bought this and when'. and .Mac is not an issue.

but maybe you want to also check out the federal / state employee discounts in case you have somebody like that. those discounts are fully transferable, as allowed by Apple.

8. Joeytpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

Thanks for the input guys.....

musicpyrite: that is NOT stealing, as Xenious said, this could be a gift ....but OK, in THIS particular case it's not, but you really think i'm ripping apple because i'm doing this?...if that was true then they wouldn't put the Student Discount offer at all, because A LOT of people do that, including Parents (buying the computer for their "Kids" but they're the ones that'll get to use it) so don't come here being all "HONEST" and being the most Moral person in the world.....i'm not trying to pay less for my computer doing an illegal thing, i just would like to use the "Apple Discount" and save $200 and THAT is Completely LEGAL.

It's the same as if you had a brother which is a "Student" and supposely you're not, you could get him to buy it and use te discount. It wouldn't matter if the personal info were under his name, why?, because you could just tell him to call apple or to go to apple store with his ID if there is a problem (OR WOULDN'T YOU DO IT??) EVERYONE would do this if they had the chance...... why? because $200 OFF (LEGALLY!) is a great deal!

i'm my case i asked about the name change, because i don't live in U.S. and it would be a lot of trouble for me to call my friend, and to send him the computer to send it to apple for repair or any other thing, but you bet that i i lived next to him, i'd leave it under his name.......

So, i'm sorry that i want to take advantage of the student discount, but im not RICH, and i need the Powerbook for the kind of work i'll be doing.

Anyways, to the other guys, Thanks......i'll have to pay the whole amount, thanks!

9. radhak macrumors regular

pay attention : no, you don't have pay the whole amount. don't get scared off by some 'holier-than-thou's. if you buy online, your friend might not even need to be involved other than tell you his school name and allow you to use his address for shipping. they don't demand proof of anything. even at the store, just take your friend along, you will see that you can even pay for it yourself. :)

10. Joeytpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

oh really??....

1)but if i take my friend with me and i pay it myself, don't they need HIS info, to put the computer papers under HIS name?...

2) i can also take him with me, and give the money to him, he could buy it, and then he could transfer ownership and registration right?...in that case how can he transfer?...and how long would it take?...or how much would it cost?

thanks for helping me out radhak, really thanks a lot!

11. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

Geez... loosen up guys.

First, to address the initial question, Apple does not look into who uses their education discounts. Most likely, it would be impractical for Apple to bother tracking all discount purchases (and it really doesn't do squat to their bottom line, so they don't really care).

Your friend could easily walk into an Apple Store and buy the Powerbook and get the discount. You'd hand him the money, and he'd hand you the Powerbook. Done and done.

No, it wouldn't mess up your data, although the machine would most likely be registered under your friends name (honestly, do you care who it's registered to?). You won't have any problems with your own .mac account or anything like that.

Your friend might not be able to buy another Mac during the school year, or he might not have any problem. As I pointed out, Apple doesn't pay too close attention to the discounts. People often use friends, family, or teachers to get a discount. Apple's teacher and student discounts are very nice, but they leave out foreign students (such as yourself) and high school students (who could really use the discount, IMO).

12. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

nahh, I know what you mean. :)

I've said it before and I'll say it again: I will never pirate Apple software. (or hardware)

I know somebody would eventually point that out. ;)

13. Joeytpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

yup i know...thanks for the reply!

a quick question tho....

the reason i would like to have the computer under my name is in case i need to call apple for repair, or if i need to use the warranty and i won't be in touch with my friend to do that.

but the question is: If he buys the computer and then "sells it to me" how can he trasnfer ownership and registration?...

14. OziMac macrumors 6502

Students from all over are welcome

Jeez, keep it down. Not everyone is made of money!

Respectfully, that's not how it works at all - you go into an Apple Store in the US as a student from anywhere in the world and all you need to do is show them your student card and they will give you the EDU price. Something similar will probably apply if you call in, though its obviously more difficult to arrange in practice on the online store. I know what the terms on their online store say, but they don't apply those terms strictly in practice with foreign students at least.

People have been doing this for ages, and the staff are more than happy to oblige. Because the whole purpose of Apple's EDU discounts, both in the US and around the world is to promote their products to one of their major target markets by offering an affordable price. Discriminating against students from countries other than the US is hardly a reasonable way to achieve this given that plenty of students from overseas spend time on exchange in the US

Comparing it to stealing is completely inaccurate. Even if you weren't a student, getting the EDU price would be a breach of Apple's EDU terms and conditions and they would be entitled to recover the difference from you.

I am curious though that with a name like 'musicpyrite' this is so offensive to you? Unless its referring to something to do with fire, in which case I understand ;). Respect.

[EDIT] beaten to the punch by JSW lol :D

15. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Apple does do random checks on edu purchases .... they have called me on my past two purchases to verify that I was a student and I had to mail/ fax them proof

students and teachers are not supposed to be selling their machines .... and i don't think just because the discount is there its right to take. your scamming an honest program that is offered by apple as a gift for students, they may not maintain the generosity if the program is abused keep that in mind. They are under no obligation to offer the discount

16. pyrotoaster macrumors 65816

pyrotoaster

Unless you're buying AppleCare, too (which most people around here wouldn't reccommend) you'll only have a 90-day warranty to begin with. Odds are you won't have to deal with the support people while you're still in warranty.

That doesn't really answer your question, but it's the best I can do. :D

17. Joeytpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

wouldn't recommend apple protection plan??..why???..i thought it was a good thing to buy (not during the first year or the first 90 days but later on)

why wouldn't you guys recommend it??

18. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Personally, I think you'd be insane not to get it! You can wait the 90 days if you want, or the year if you don't mind paying for phone support after 90 days, but I figure - especially on a laptop - that it's an automatic decision: get it.

But perhaps he meant not to get it at time of purchase. But, still, I don't see why not. It's not like it's going to cost less later. Perhaps because, if your device is DOA or very problematic, you could just return it instead of replacing it? I don't know....

19. GeorgeTheMonkey macrumors member

AppleCare Question...

Okay, so if I have this correct -- I'd appreciate your help, jsw -- you don't have to buy AppleCare at all when purchasing your PowerBook... but if you want to, you can purchase it later on (perhaps when the 1-year warranty, or 90-day phone support, is nearly up). Naturally it'll still be the same price, but will the new extended coverage go from the initial date you bought the computer, or when you actually purchase AppleCare (which, in some cases, might be 9 or 10 months later)?

I'm just fighting paying the $300 for AppleCare right off the bat, knowing that that can make or break a deal for me as a student and drastically underpaid preschool teacher. If I can postpone buying AppleCare until a few months down the road after I've recouped paying some odd $2500 for the PowerBook itself, I'd like to do that. Everything Apple's documentation and store details about AppleCare doesn't specify that I can, however.

Thanks! :)

20. OziMac macrumors 6502

That's right, George. You can buy it towards the end of your 1 year warranty (though phone support expires after 90 days in that case) and it extends your original 1 year warranty to three years (after the date of your initial purchase).

Maybe ask the sales rep to give you the same schpiel to reassure you, but I'm very sure that's correct.

21. GeorgeTheMonkey macrumors member

Ah, see, that's so much more comforting. Yup, 17" PB looks much more affordable now. (Amazing how my brain automatically considers anything more than $2500 bloody expensive, whereas if it touches down nicely just under $2500, it's just a casual purchase about as expensive as a gumball. :rolleyes:)

Thank you, OziMac! :D

22. Joeytpg thread starter macrumors 6502

Joeytpg

that's the deal....i mean....you can buy your pbook (for which you just paid more than $2,000 buck probably) and us the NOT sO RICH people can have a pocket brake, hmmm let's say a whole year pocket brake? hehehe.....i wouldn't mind the 90 days phone support, i'd just buy a calling card or whatever!......but anyways maybe in 3 months i'll be able to save some more and buy the apple protection plan...who know...but it's definitely NOT the same as paying it right there the day you buy the pbook

23. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Nonsense on stilts

But it's ok to steal music because after all, the doesn't hurt apple, right? I'm curious as to how you can come to the ethical conclusion that it is ok to steal music but not apple software, when both are acts of theft. Please explain how you determine what is acceptable and non-acceptable to steal. Regardless, stealing music takes money out of my pocket, which means that there is less $ for me to funnel towards apple products that help create my music. In closing, I rule and I'll let everyone else make their own conclusion about you. Arrg

24. OziMac macrumors 6502

LOL - you said it dude: where can we pick up some of your music to determine the truth of what you say (with the appropriate royalty of course)? :)

25. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

You know, I never said I steal music. ;) :D