URGENT: Restoring image to drive

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dmurray14, Dec 6, 2006.

1. dmurray14 macrumors member

OK guys, what the hell. I'm following Apple's directions. I made a dmg image of my hard drive. I formatted the drive, and now I want to restore the image to the drive. I go to the drive, I pick the "restore" tab. I click "Image..." and select the image I want to restore using. Now, it says "drag a disk here to restore onto it." How the hell am I supposed to do that? Every time I try and drag a disk from the pane on the left it just highlights everything I move the mouse over. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how I am supposed to DRAG THE IMAGE THERE when it DOESN'T DRAG! If you can't tell, I'm getting very frustrated, and I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks,
    Dan

2. dmurray14 thread starter macrumors member

URGENT: Restoring image to drive

I posted this in the macbook pro forum, but perhaps it belongs here.

[Moderator note: This is the best forum for your question, so we merged the other thread with this one.]

3. baxterbrittle macrumors regular

You can have dmg images on the left hand side in diskutility. Try dragging the image the the left pane from the finder. Then drag the image from the left pane from diskutility to source dialogue. The drag the partition to the destination. Make sure it is partition and not the drive itself. I don't see what you mean by doesn't drag. Are you clicking the "image" button? If you do that you are selecting the image so you should click it and then click OK. You only drag images from the left hand pane. Hope this helps.

4. baxterbrittle macrumors regular

Sorry just re-read your post. Can you give a bit more detail as to "it just highlights everything I move the mouse over". The only thing I can think of is the selecting a partition thing that I mentioned but if you could clarify or post a screen shot it would be much appreciated. Also are you running du from an install CD or from a HDD?

5. dmurray14 thread starter macrumors member

Running it from install CD.

As to the highlighting - it highlights the other items in the list as I go over them. Imagine selecting multiple items in finder by drawing the box over them. Same idea.

I can't drag anything. When I click and hold and try and move it, it just highlights whatever else I go over. This is a pretty big flaw.

6. dmurray14 thread starter macrumors member

Now it won't even boot from the install CD. Just sits at the gray apple screen with the pinwheel.

Beginning to wonder why I even bought this $2800 piece of crap.

7. baxterbrittle macrumors regular

Could be just a dud disc. Maybe diskutil wasn't fully loaded properly. What sort of machine is it?